View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:24 am 
Hi there,

This may be a bit off topic but it still is HW-related so im gonna risk the flames and post anyway.
For what its worth I guess that some of you Core 2 Duo fans might find it interesting.

I've got a Asus P5B-VM and I've had a lot of trouble with this board trying to get it working with SATA drives.

It seems that the ICH8 (Intel SATA-controller) isnt supported in linux yet (but people are working hard to fix it!).
Also the second SATA-controller called "JMicron" on the board is hardly supported yet but some distros are working on it.

The trouble appears when trying to boot via the JMicron PATA-port (Asus P5B-VM has 1 PATA-port hooked up to the JMicron SATA-controller). It boots but when searching for drives it cannot find itself (yep, sounds weird). The Knoppmyth installer loose contact with my PATA-CDROM-drive.

A third thing is that the on-board Realtek NIC is not supported "out-of-the-box" but with drivers from Realteks website you can get it working.

Lastly (but not least) the G965 chipset needs drivers from Intel to get DRM/DRI/OpenGL working. Actually i cannot get OpenGL working but it will be there soon.

Currently (and this is probably where Im risking the flames) im running Ubuntu Edgy EFT 6.10 - a daily build from mid-october. This beta has support for the JMicron-controller and ICH8-support is on the way (should be implemented by now but I havent checked).
I got MythTV to work fully on this board with Ubuntu but I cannot get TV-out working on my PVR-350.

Im looking forward to a version of knoppmyth that has inherited support for ICH8, JMicron, G965 and the Realtek network-card :)

Just my 2 cents :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:12 pm 
unkle wrote:
Im looking forward to a version of knoppmyth that has inherited support for ICH8, JMicron, G965 and the Realtek network-card :)

The best way to get that is to point cesman at the necessary kernel patches so he can incorporate them into the KM kernel.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:00 pm 
Human wrote:
unkle wrote:

The best way to get that is to point cesman at the necessary kernel patches so he can incorporate them into the KM kernel.

I see, thanks for pointing that out. Im relatively new to this, and I havent patched the kernel im using, at least not "manually" so to speak, though it might have been patched through the Ubuntu automatic updater.
What I do know (sorry if this is irrelevant) is that the kernel is a version 2.6.17-10-generic-33 (from Ubuntu Edgy 6.10-Beta. BTW they issued the final release yesterday).
I doubt that this is enough info to pass on to cesman.

If any of you could please advice me regarding "how to obtain" and "which information I should gather" I'll be more than happy to be of assistance and pass the info on to cesman.
I imagine that posting only dmesg/messages would be insufficient, but I wouldnt know what else to post.

Regards,
unkle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:14 am 
unkle wrote:
What I do know (sorry if this is irrelevant) is that the kernel is a version 2.6.17-10-generic-33 (from Ubuntu Edgy 6.10-Beta. BTW they issued the final release yesterday).
I doubt that this is enough info to pass on to cesman.

Maybe not, but it could also mean that the features you desire are now part of the stock (unpatched) kernel. Cecil has been working with 2.6.18 in testing. It's possible that it incorporates support for the chipsets you are interested in.
unkle wrote:
If any of you could please advice me regarding "how to obtain" and "which information I should gather" I'll be more than happy to be of assistance and pass the info on to cesman.

I recommend doing something like a search for ICH8 and 2.6.17 or 2.6.18 to see if people say stuff like "ICH8 isn't working in kernel 2.6.xy!" and replies like "Wait for 2.6.17 - it'll be incorporated." Also search to see if anyone mentions patching 2.6.17 or 2.6.18. (If they mention patching, say 2.6.16, this is ok as long as they don't talk about patches to later kernels.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:41 pm 
Human wrote:
I recommend doing something like a search for ICH8 and 2.6.17 or 2.6.18 to see if people say stuff like "ICH8 isn't working in kernel 2.6.xy!" and replies like "Wait for 2.6.17 - it'll be incorporated." Also search to see if anyone mentions patching 2.6.17 or 2.6.18.

Replying to myself here since I've also been looking into ICH8 support...

It looks like ICH8 support was added in 2.6.18-rc2: http://lwn.net/Articles/191513/

I don't have a board with ICH8 on it, but if someone who has an ICH8 chip can try kernel 2.6.18.x (2.6.18.3 was just released yesterday, it seems) and see if ICH8 works, this will let the rest of us know it's ok to consider ICH8-based motherboards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:12 pm 
Incidentally, ICH8 is supported in E50; boot with the 'intelfix' parameter, and the installer will take care of the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:17 pm 
Hi,

Im grateful for your post ! It is nice of you to remember this thread :)
It might be a bit of OT and then again perhaps not because I mention this in the first post.
Do you happen to know whether the E50 supports the JMicron, G965 and the Realtek NIC ?

This would be awesome 'cause i've run in to some massive problems regarding TV-Out on PVR-350 with my Ubuntu. If all the HW is supported by KnoppMyth i'll do the switch from ubuntu to KnoppMyth in the hope that this may give me the much needed breakthrough for the TV-Out.

For info: This thread informs about the trouble with the PVR-350 (i think its a problem related to specifying the correct PAL mode in the IVTV-drivers).
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=110723
(My posts go by the name of "Sadprof").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:43 pm 
unkle wrote:
Im grateful for your post ! It is nice of you to remember this thread :)

No problem!
unkle wrote:
Do you happen to know whether the E50 supports the JMicron, G965 and the Realtek NIC ?

Well, the Dragon 2.0 spec has an ICH8 / DG965 chipset, so I would imagine that it would. It's easy to try :)

I don't know much about the Hauppauge cards, other than the fact that they keep changing the chips they use and turn support into a moving target. I do recommend installing E50, since the core KnoppMyth team has upgraded to it and will be better able to help you if you also install E50.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:45 am 
Quote:
Well, the Dragon 2.0 spec has an ICH8 / DG965 chipset, so I would imagine that it would. It's easy to try Smile

That sounds great I will free up a harddisk and give it a try when the hangovers from 2006 clears up ;)

Quote:
I don't know much about the Hauppauge cards, other than the fact that they keep changing the chips they use and turn support into a moving target. I do recommend installing E50, since the core KnoppMyth team has upgraded to it and will be better able to help you if you also install E50.

Yes I think the guys at IVTV are getting just a bit annoyed about the constantly changing specs of the PVR's. I saw in a thread somewhere that IVTV are slowly eliminating the TV-Out support in future drivers. Im not sure about this statement but if it is true I cant blame them (although it is a shame for the PVR-fans out there, including myself).
Anyway, it sounds like a very reasonable argument to try the E50 because of the support from the core KnoppMyth team so I will definetely give it a try. Back in the early days of the R4xxx releases KnoppMyth was the easiest (only) distribution I could get working with the TV-Out so hopefully they still support it on the PVR-350.

Thankyou again for your attention it is greatly appreciated !

For reference I'll post my experience with the HW-support (and possibly successful TV-Out) in this thread as soon as i get the E50 up and running.

Happy newyear!

Unkle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:03 pm 
I've started on R5E50 but cant even get it installed. For reference please see this thread:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13269