1G PC3200
GForce TI-200
(2) PVR-250's
160g HD IDE
160g HD SATA
onboard 3com ethernet
creative DXR2 dvd drive (not the card)

Symptom:
My backend would lock up, with "CAPS LOCK" and "SCROLL LOCK" flashing. Machine would be completely unresponsive, reboot required. Seemed to be concentrated around Disk IO.

If I copied data from one drive to another, it would happen after an indeterminate period of time. Didn't seem to matter file size or type, never at the same place.

With XFS file system, I would get errors of the following:
Aug 18 04:07:41 backend1 kernel: Kernel panic: kmem_alloc: NULL memory on KM_SLEEP request!

One other thing I didn't think had anything to do with this, but is now fixed. I wasn't able to rip any DTS tracks "perfect} off any DVD I own. I could start the rip, and somewhere between 1 - 5 minutes into the process, it would lose communication with MTD, and die. I could rip AC3-6 just fine, but DTS would die.

What I tried:
- Different file systems (ext3, xfs)
- (2) new motherboards (both A7N8X deluxe, AN35N)
- new ram, cpu, video card
- 2 new harddrives
- reinstall of KnoppMyth R4V4
- clean install of KnoppMyth R4V4.1
- disabling UDMA on motherboard
- hdparm -d0 / hdparm -d1
- different versions of IVTV (.91, 101, 103, 105)
- different versions of NVidia video driver (41.xx 60.xx 61.xx)

What fixed it:
Reformatting the HD, installed Fedora1. System has been totally stable, even after copying the entire contents of one of the 160g drives to the other, then back again, several times.

Re-imported my SQL database, FTP'd the 130gigs of TV back in, and we're running like a charm.

Conclusion:
I'm not sure where the root problem was. I suspect it was an IO / DMA issue combination with the NForce chipset drivers, and the kernel / OS. I know nothing solved this problem, when staying with KnoppMyth however. No fresh installs, fresh downloads, different hard drives, nothing.

Again, your mileage may vary. I'm sure lots of people are running KnoppMyth with NForce chipset. It just didn't work as a backend for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:44 pm 
This sounds horribly familiar. I had similar problems with my box until a BIOS update reset some realted default settings. http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1150 Sadly I've forgotten the name of the setting in question... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:07 am 
OK, the BIOS setting (which I just hunted down to answer a similar question) is "C1 Disconnect" which should be "disabled". Search the forum for those terms to get more detail.