View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:31 pm 
Ok so after a year I finally got my pvr 250 working with KnoppMyth. I just figured I'd share this incase anybody else is having the same type of problems.

1st Problem:
The card was not being detected on startup. A message saying something like, No Multimedia devices found.

solution: for reasons unknown it had something to do with my geforce2 MX 200. I swapped this with an ati aiw radeon 7500(also worked with a pixelview geforce fx 5600) and the card would detect just fine on startup. However then I ran into a second problem...

2nd Problem:
Every time I watched live tv I'd get the black screen like many other people. ctrl+alt+f1 displayed the message

"ivtv: Timeout waiting for data!"

Having a VIA chipset i figured that could be the problem and went through a ide controller card which gave me the same result. I Also bought an MSI nforce2 motherboard which just gave me the same message. So I tested card out on my regular desktop, a chaintech motherboard with an nforce2 chipset, and it worked fine, except for sound(but i wont get into that, something with the north or southbridge). After months of tweaking settings and no results I came up with the dumbest idea.....

Solution: Swap the ram. I took the unknown 512MB stick of pc2700 and replaced it with an elixir 512MB stick of pc3200. Ever since then it has been running completely fine.

So here is the working system out of the box:
AMD Athlon XP2200
MSI K7N2-L Motherboard (IMPORTANT: NOT the SATA version)
On board audio
On board networking
512MB Elixir 400mhz PC3200
Wester Digial 120GB hard drive
ATI AIW Radeon 7500
PVR 250
ATI Remote Wonder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:29 pm 
While it is very good news that you got the PVR-250 working in your system and your advice may well help someone, it does not seem like this is a true "Tier 3" topic. The Tier 3 forum is for hardware that won't under any circumstance work with KnoppMyth. I think the PVR-250 is pretty far from being in that category!

Post subject: RE: On topic!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:14 am 
And thanks.

As the non-name brand ram is the issue here, Tier 3 is where it belongs.

Two followups though.
1. Have you ran memtest86 on the bum ram stick? It would be nice to know if it was due to simply bad ram, or generic ram.
2. had you tried tweaking the bios ram settings?

And to defend him one more step; this post may have saved my bacon too, I made the mistake of not memtesting some ram I put in a box setup for a bunch of a/v stuff with knoppixmyth. I'll memtest the box tonight and see if it's the ram.

Best,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:42 pm 
I am having a similar issue i do also have a geforce mx 200 is there a way around this without getting a new graphics card?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:34 pm 
Have you tried moving the slot the PVR-250 is in? Have you also checked your BIOS setting? Check the wiki for more...

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:09 pm 
I just finished several days of wrestling with my PVR-250 in a VIA EPIA 6000ME, with the result that it moved from Tier 2.5 to Tier 1 for R5F1. I discovered that it does work out of the box, with a couple minor changes to the default configuration (NOT any files, just the on-screen setup.)

Anyway, in the course of my wrestling I did have to physically remove the 250 from the board, and/or remove power from the machine several times, to solve a variety of problems from a non-responsive keyboard to a total freeze-up. I'm talking actually removing the card and actually removing the power jack. It could be that these cards are finicky when they're being "messed with," but I've been running this same hardware for a couple years with prior versions so I know it works.

I'll post more details in Tier 1 after I've had some more time with it.

My congratulations, and gratitude, to the developers!