View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:30 am 
First, here is my setup:

Two machines running r5a12.
One is a master backend I don't use for playback and one is a slave backend/frontend.

master backend:
duron 750
nforce2 M7NCD Pro motherboard
1x512mb pc2700 ddr
geforce 256 ddr
pchdtv HD-3000 connected to a ZHDTV1 silver sensor antenna
2xmaxtor 160gb
fsp300-60pfn power supply

frontend/slave backend
p4 prescott 3.0E 1mb cache
2x256mb pc3200 ddr
shuttle ab60n
chaintech av-710
leadtek tv2000xp connected to analog cable
1xmaxtor 160gb (ran setacm to enable quiet mode)
msi radeon 9550 128mb 128bit
seasonic s12-380 power supply
antec slk3000b case
1 antec tricool 120mm case fan
1 yate loon D12SM-12 120mm case fan
zalman 6500 socket 478 cooler

I was trying to get my HD playback machine to work with the MSI 9550, but I had playback problems I couldn't overcome. Everything is just peachy when I swap out the 9550 with a geforce fx5600 and use the 6629 nvidia drivers. I had the same problem both with the vesa drivers KnoppMyth automatically installs and with ATI's fglrx 4.3 driver.

Note the vesa driver had an additional annoyance. I have an infocus X1 projector I have hooked up to my playback computer over vga. With the vesa driver, every time I would boot it would be zoomed in too far so the right portion of the screen would be cut off. I could only see up to the 'O' in distribution at the bottom of the screen. What was odd is that if I would turn off the projector and turn it on again later, it would be corrected and the desktop would be displayed correctly. After I loaded the ATI driver, that problem went away.

However the major problem is that every time I would try to run a program I recorded in HD or live HD, I would have severe playback problems. The xshell I launched mythfrontend from would tell me that whatever resolution I was in (I tried both 800x600 and 1024x768) was unable to play the framerate and that frames would be dropped to keep up. This resulted in very choppy playback. I was still fine in top -- less than 30% so it wasn't processor load. Also, the X1 is a 4:3 projector. Normally, widescreen HD will have black bars on the top and bottom. However with the 9550, shows I knew to be widescreen would be zoomed in to what the SD broadcast would look like so the sides were getting chopped off and there were no black bars at the top and bottom.

I put the r5a12 cd in and booted to a frontend only for good measure. Exact same thing happened.

Again, none of this happens with the FX5600. I was hoping to use the 9550 because it is fanless (my fx5600 isn't) but it doesn't look like I will be able to unless anyone has a solution to this problem.

Based on my experience, I'd recommend staying away from any ATI radeon for a HD playback machine.

The radeon 9550 does fine with any SD recordings from the tv2000xp however.

My setup is tier two with the fx5600. I'll post how I got it all configured there.

Also, note -- I could play the HD *.nuv files in xine with the 9550 and they looked fine so it looks like it is a problem with how mythtv deals with the 9550.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:35 am 
I also have a radeon 9550. I also bought it because it is fanless ..

I am able to view DVB-T HD channels that are 576p (e.g. channel 70 in Sydney). 1080i channels are not working apparently because of some driver issue related to buffer size.

Using fglrx proprietary drivers dated June 9 2005.

Apparently the new version soon to be released will fix the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:32 am 
well as mentioned many times on the forums the recommended fanless card is a gforce5200 from nvidia.

Xsecrets