View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:41 am 
I played with KnoppMyth and the XF86Config-4 file for a very long time before considering that my video issues may be motherboard related - but before I wrote it off, I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

VIA EPIA M1000 MB
Hauppauge 350 tuner (*edit - it's a 250*)
512MB RAM

The first time I got any video on my TV, it was scrambled, and so was the video on the computer screen (which still makes no sense to me at all - it should have sync'd to my monitor). Eventually I got tired of this and took it over to a friend's house. After much playing with XF86Config-4 and the bios settings (to send video through VGA+TV) we gave up (it wasn't syncing on the tiny TV he has by his computer).

For grins, we hooked it up to his main TV. We finally saw video, but what we saw had a thick, white, horizontal band of light going throught the middle of the screen and the picture would slide unpredictably up the screen and wrap back to the bottom. We thought it progress, but no matter how much configuring we did it would never lose this band or sliding (at best). Plugging it into other components (such as the VCR) it does it a different version of wrong.

We unplugged all extra hardware from the MB besides power, and right when the MB power turns on the band is present, so finally we think it's a problem with the MB.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by jcl on Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:45 am 
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are using the onboard video and not the pvr350. I know this gets tested before every release so I know it works, though I don't personally own one. You don't have the new version with the pro chipset do you? because the new drivers that support the pro are not yet intigrated with knoppmyth.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:12 am 
Xsecrets wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are using the onboard video and not the pvr350

Hail, thanks.
Yes I'm using onboard. And somehow I typoed, my Hauppauge is a 250, but... in this case it's the same difference as it being installed or not doesn't seem to affect the MB video issue. Do you think this could be a refresh problem that it learns from software (knoppmyth, the bios, the xf86config-4, elsewhere)? The problem occurs even with the HD, video card, etc. unplugged, when power first is given to the board.
Xsecrets wrote:
You don't have the new version with the pro chipset do you?

It's a brand new board, but somehow I really doubt it - I wasn't aware it was available with differing video chipsets, I haven't used any of this line before, but it seemed a good choice for this project as people have reported success and it's tiny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:19 am 
well the pro I belive in via terms is called cn400 or something like that. has newer video along with A few other newer interfaces I forget what all it is at the moment. I think the other big advancement was support for DDR400 Memory or something like that.

Xsecrets

Post subject: Resolved.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:32 pm 
This is resolved.

We eventually had the idea that the problem was due to grounding (improper, or otherwise). We *were* going to make sure the motherboard was grounded properly (with a wire from a motherboard screw to somewhere that's grounded) but for grins we plugged the motherboard into a known non grounded outlet. Now it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:02 pm 
Get yourself a good UPS or at least a good plug bar. All the APC ones witll detect and signal grounding problems, as well as do a lot to isolate you from them.