View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:34 pm 
Do not try to use the Hauppauge PVR500 with the GigaByte GA-7VAXP mobo.
I would get random resets any time I turned on the video card to watch a show. The resets would happen any where from 2 seconds to 10 minutes after I started watching the show.
I changed motherboards and that did the trick for me.
Both mobo and PVR500 now behave wonderful, they just need to be in separate computers.
I believe that there is a conflict with the RAID controller or chipset on the mobo, and the PVR500. Disabling everything (RAID, USB, NIC, etc) in the BIOS did not help.

FYI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:14 pm 
Was I just completely wasting my time when I posted this write up and asked Cecil to make it sticky? http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6321 Or when I did this write up on the wiki? http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=PickingComponents Or when I responded to dozens of posts by other people here? :?

This is almost certainly the well known, well understood, and well documented "Via Chipset DMA problem". I think we've even had questions on this exact same motherboard before. A search of the forum should have turned up more information on the topic than anyone could possibly miss. :( Not to mention that it tops the list on this troubleshooting page at Hauppauge's site: http://www.hauppauge.com/html/lockups.htm#MOMLIST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:01 pm 
Quote:
This is almost certainly the well known, well understood, and well documented "Via Chipset DMA problem".

Interesting. I did an automatic install with an Epox 8KHA+ (Via KT266a) with an ATI TVTuner and ATI Radeon9200 and it has only randomly rebooted once, that was initially (memory timing was too agressive and Overclock was really high..)

Other settings to check would be your memory timing in the BIOS. do NOT overclock your memory..

Since mine is working perfectly (with an Hauppauge PVR 150MCE) is there anything I can post that may help figure out what the difference is between a working and non-working system?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:28 am 
slacker wrote:
Do not try to use the Hauppauge PVR500 with the GigaByte GA-7VAXP mobo.
I would get random resets any time I turned on the video card to watch a show. The resets would happen any where from 2 seconds to 10 minutes after I started watching the show.
I changed motherboards and that did the trick for me.
Both mobo and PVR500 now behave wonderful, they just need to be in separate computers.
I believe that there is a conflict with the RAID controller or chipset on the mobo, and the PVR500. Disabling everything (RAID, USB, NIC, etc) in the BIOS did not help.

FYI.

Very odd. I was using a PVR150 MCE in my 7VAXP for about 6 months before I moved it into my Knoppmyth box. Ok I was running Ubuntu rather than knoppmyth, but had none of the issues you mention. Also I am using the onboard Raid controller.

Have you checked your PSU is large enough. I had to upgrade mine to a 480W otherwise I had all kinds of data corruption issues.

Steve