View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:52 am 
I tried and I also have a question about Storage Groups and the diskless setup.

On the previous version without storage groups I have used the diskless FE just fine for more than 1 year on three different frontends. However, when I run it now with r5.5 via knoppmyth_diskless_frontend.bash it seems to me that the folder that it creates it becoming huge (GB instead of MB). I ran it and it filled up /dev/sda1/ and then errored out. So I deleated it and reran it on /dev/sda3. I watched the script running and it is copying the folder /myth2 that I created via the storage group option. Why is it copying this folder it is the same as /myth/tv with just my shows? I killed the cp job because I thought that it was broken since it was so hugh. Does something need to change to account for storage group folders in the diskless setup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:34 pm 
Yes. something needs to change. It makes a copy of the filesystem on the backend and excludes specific directories. /myth is one of them, but now, with storage groups, it needs to exclude any directory in the storage group. Ill see if I can work up a fix, but it may take some time before I can get around to it, so if anyone else wants to try, please do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:43 pm 
Thanks for the speedy responce Greg, I was thinking if it could exclude something like

/myth
/myth2
/myth3

or maybe even

/myth*.*

that might do the job :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:16 am 
I went out last night and bought a 1TB drive to add to my backend, so I could test the diskless script with storage groups.

I have come up with a new version of the script which NFS mounts each of the mount points in your storage group. It works on my system, but as usual YMMV.

Try this new version and let me know how it goes. If it works for you, I'll get cesman to add it to the R5.5 patcher.
http://gregs-htpc.homeip.net/knoppmyth_ ... ntend.bash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:48 pm 
Greg- Good News!!!!

I tested out the new bash script and works perfect with storage groups. I tried it out on both of my machines and it is working perfect. The only problem that I had was I didn't have permission to run the file as root. So I issued this command and it straightened it out.

Code:
chmod 0755 knoppmy_diskless_frontend.bash

Nice job correcting the script. Much appreciated. Feel free to give it to CESMAN to update for all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:02 pm 
I think I am almost finished with getting my diskless frontend working correctly, but am still having a few issues with usb and spdif stuff.
I think this is related to the udev errors I get on startup ('udev requires a mounted procfs, not started').

If I run the following commands after startup, and then restart mythfrontend it all seems to work fine.

Code:
mount sysfs
/etc/init.d/udev start
mount usbfs
/etc/init.d/lirc start

Does anyone know what might be causing this not to start up automatically?

Alternatively, where is the best place to put these commands so that they will run before the frontend starts up?

Many thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:30 am 
Hello,

I have been able to get my backed up and running without much trouble, and even get my FE to boot. I cannot get X to load though. It starts to load, but I end up getting:

INIT: Id "c7" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minuets

My BE server has an older ATI video card in it so I manually loaded the nvidia drivers.

Code:
dpkg -i /usr/src/debs/nvidia/common/*.deb /usr/src/debs/nvidia/1.0.8776/*

I also tried /latest/ to see if a newer version would help, but it didnt change anything.

I have also copied the working xorg.conf file for this video card to the /nfsroot/mythfe/etc/X11/ directory, but each time I reboot the FE is restores the xorg.conf of the BE server for the ATI video card.

I appologize if I should have posted this in the hardware forum.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:55 am 
Ah well I think its that the driver isnt actually installed on my BE server.

I tried to install the driver from /usr/src on the BE, and I get Error: No nVidia VGA adapter found.
Code:
install-nvidia-debian.sh 1.0.8776

I think someone else was having this issue too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:09 pm 
Yes I had the same problem previously and ended up giving up. Although a possible solution may be to put an Nvidia card in the backend, install the driver the remove the card, the driver would then be available for the diskless frontend.
I am not sure if the frontend xorg would still be overwritten though.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:19 am 
Thanks for the info. I too have given up on trying to install the Nvidia drives on my BE for now. The motherboard has an onboard ATI chipset, and no AGP slot. Finding a modern enough PCI nvidia card was proving difficult so I will probably just wait so I can get a BE with an nvidia card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:40 am 
Here are some up to date pci ones
I purchased one but have not installed it yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=1069609642&Description=sparkle%20pci&name=PCI

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:04 pm 
Split BE.

If someone wanted to use a dedicated fileserver for the storage would it be difficult for the diskless scripts to detect that the storage is already on a share, and just map to that share rather than recreate the shares from the BE?

It would still need to create the network boot share, and such just not the media shares.

With the current scripts the BE would try to reshare the mapped share for the FE to connect to correct? If so it would double the network IO on the BE server as the FE would connect to the BE, and then the BE would have to connect to the file server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:47 pm 
It seems that some of us are having an issue with the diskless FE when the FE requires the NVidia drivers, and BE has something else like an ATI video card.

I am wondering how difficult would it be to make a copy of /usr for each FE rather than just a RO share? Would each diskless FE be able to install whatever software it needs to get up and running?

Its a waste of disk space, but I have a dedicated 60GB driver just for the OS so thats not a big issue at least for me.

Putting an Nvidia card in my BE isnt really an option because its an onboard card, and I really dont want to spend money for a PCI card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:08 pm 
yaplej wrote:
I am wondering how difficult would it be to make a copy of /usr for each FE rather than just a RO share? Would each diskless FE be able to install whatever software it needs to get up and running?

When I wrote the script, I wanted it to work with the default knoppmyth install. This meant that the nfsroot coulnt be on /myth (not enough inodes) and couldnt duplicate /usr (not enoght space on /). Sharing /usr was a compromise and making it readonly was a precaution to prevent the fe stuffing up the be in some way.

You could probably tweak it to mount /usr rw and install the nvidia driver on the FE (but I havent tried it so do so at your own risk).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:55 pm 
I've got in over my head -- again. I've read this whole thread and searched for information here and on various linux forums.

I got the diskless FE to talk to the back end on the DHCP request (bootp only method) the TFTPD stuff works, the boot messages start scrolling by when the front end is started. The FE surveys the bandwidth of protocols like SSE then sends another DHCP request to the BE. It goes through the detection of raid arrays, i don't have any, looks up the port of the RPC twice (100003/2 and 100005/1 if it helps). Then it relays "VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem) readonly, "freeing kernel memory: 384K freed...

and here is where it stops...

"Kernel Panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel."

Could someone point me in the right direction please.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next