View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:35 pm 
I am having a few problems with video playback (quite choppy in xine). After searching around for a bit i think i need to enable DMA mode but when i try to use the "hdparm -d1 /dev/hda" but i get the error saying "operation not permitted". After again searching the net i have found that i should recompile the kernal to deal with my problem, however i wouldnt even have a damn clue where to start with this. Anyone able to help me? Pretty please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:58 pm 
Are you running hdparm as root? What is returned if you simply run
Code:
hdparm /dev/hda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:31 pm 
Sorry for not replying to this post for a bit. The output from the command

hdparm /dev/hda

is:

/dev/hda:
multcount = 16 (on)
IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq = 0 (off)
using_dma = 0 (off)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 256 (on)
geometry = 38913/255/63, sectors = 320072933376, start = 0

Hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:01 pm 
Need more details.

What version of KM?

Is this as root? And does the -d1 option still result in an error?

Is the drive jumpered for master, slave or cable select? Do your motherboard and drive support DMA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:43 pm 
Version of KM is R5D1. Running hdparm as root returns the same error. Motherboard definately supports dma (Ultra DMA 133/100 according to the manufacturers website), after a quick search for my make/model (Maxtor STM3320820A) it looks like that supports Ultra DMA as it is an ATA model.

As for the drive being jumped for master, im not really sure how i would go about checking this but it is the only harddrive in my system so im guessing it would be set for master.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:05 pm 
rmflook wrote:
Version of KM is R5D1. Running hdparm as root returns the same error. Motherboard definately supports dma (Ultra DMA 133/100 according to the manufacturers website), after a quick search for my make/model (Maxtor STM3320820A) it looks like that supports Ultra DMA as it is an ATA model.
Are the DMA settings enabled in the BIOS?

rmflook wrote:
As for the drive being jumped for master, im not really sure how i would go about checking this but it is the only harddrive in my system so im guessing it would be set for master.
Not necessarily, could be cable select, and if you have an IDE CD/DVD drive that could be master, but from the output of hdparm I'd say not. The jumper is physically located on the drive, typically next to the power connector.

Verify the DMA settings in the BIOS. Past that, I would check with the motherboard manufacturer for help. From what you have described I can't imagine what would be causing the error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:26 am 
Hmm, i think i know what the problem is. It looks like my harddrive is both SATA and ATA-100 (the company i bought it from only had it listed as an ATA100 interface device). So i guess im going to have to recompile the kernel - crap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:58 am 
rmflook wrote:
Hmm, i think i know what the problem is. It looks like my harddrive is both SATA and ATA-100
Huh? Your drive can be one or the other, but not both. SATA (Serial ATA) and ATA (aka PATA, or Parallel ATA) are completely different interfaces. PATA uses a flat, wide ribbon cable about 2" wide.

If you have a SATA drive then DMA isn't your problem, and recompiling the kernel isn't going to help you. Time to get back to the basics:
1 - Describe all of your hardware (make and model # of each component)
2 - Describe the exact problem you are having and any errors you are seeing/finding in the logs
3 - Describe what steps (if any) you have taken to remedy the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:48 am 
Hmm, i thought as much but the description on the Maxtor website threw me completely. Check out the following URL - it mentions both SATA and ATA-100.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?l ... age=Model#

Im using a barebones system (ASUS) - the technical spec can be found here

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?l ... age=Model#

My processor is a Sempron 3400+ (AM2 Socket).

The problem i am having is that watching movies (especially DVD's) is impossible - the playback is far too jerky (frames being dropped left right and centre). Numerous websites have said that i need to enable DMA and that if i cant use the hdparm feature then i will need to recompile my kernel. Thats as far as i have come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:03 pm 
As I said in another thread, _Open the box and look at the cables_. This should take under 5 minutes and will remove all uncertainty. Skinny cables and connectors == SATA, wide cables or connectors == PATA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:40 pm 
What tjc said. Also check the connector for your DVD drive and let us know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:08 pm 
Right so heres what i have done. Managed to install R5E50 and the good news is that when i run

hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd

i no longer get the system telling me the operation is not permitted - so things are looking up. However still if i try to play my DVDs through xine the playback is so choppy its bonkers.

Maybe there is something i should be changing in the Xine settings.