View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:40 pm 
## Figured out the solution, and the solution is WebMin. Should be step 2 for any new Myth install!!!!

Read the wiki, and quite a few posts on this forum...

Everything mounts. Can access my mythbox fine from Ubuntu, however no permissions whatsoever to do anything other than look at folders/files. (Want to be able to push down mp3s, videos, pics etc.) Tried using su and sudo to push commands at mount, no joy. (i.e. after mount 192.168.x.x etc. etc.)

Mythbox etc/exports file is
/myth *(rw)

Also, have matched the mythbox mythtv uid/gid with account on my ubuntu system. Still nothing. (After noticing my mythbox uid/gid was matched with ubuntu's dhcp/syslog.) chown'd the /myth folder structure to reflect new uid/gid, still nothing!

What am I missing/forgetting? Want to use NFS but might have to resort to FTP!! Help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:14 pm 
So what did you do in WebMin? I've been trying to get NFS write access to /home/mythtv, but I only get read access. I feel like I have tried every setting WebMin, to no avail.

So, what's the secret?

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
BioStar A770, AMD X2 4050e, 2GB RAM
GigaByte GeForce 8400, Chaintech AV710
USB-UIRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:14 am 
It came down to changing the uid / gid on the myth box... I just redid the mythtv box, so finding I have to remember this all again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:49 am 
It might be worthwhile documenting any changes/additions you make, so if you need to reinstall for any reason, it makes that process a bit easier.

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:57 pm 
Can someone expand on this?

I set up a SBE on my ubuntu desktop. I was hopeing to use NFS to save recordings from the SBE onto the MBE. I can read but I can't write. I'm pretty sure it comes down to UID/GID's.

MBE UID GID
mythtv 100 102
netdev --- 1001

SBE
mythtv 1001 1001
dhcp 101 102
libuuid 100 101

I tried moving things around so I could use 100:102 on my ubuntu box but ended up making it unable to connect to the network at all. (NFS doesn't work well that way)
Is there any order to those numbers, should I move things one way or another? What's the proper procedure? Any advice would be welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:24 pm 
I have a frontend that's Debian Etch. When I setup NFS initially I would mount the /myth directory onto Debian and the permissions always showed it belonged to "Debian-exim" which never made any sense. Come to find out, "Debian-exim" was the same uid on my Debian machine as "mythtv" was on my mythbox.

I had to change the uid of Debian-exim in order to free up the uid I needed for mythtv. Did you try changing the uid of libuuid before you changed mythtv on your SBE? I assume that the NFS shares show that all of the files are owned by libuuid:dhcp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:42 pm 
Yes the files showed up as being owned my libuuid:dhcp. I had tried moving the dhcp group to 99 as well as moving the libuuid user to 99. I choose 99 cause it was the closest number available to both items. I'm not sure if the numbering means anything as far as permissions, so I tried to keep them close to original. I noticed that root is 0 on both and regular users are higher so though it might have some bearing. I tried it twice, once with usermod/groupmod and once editing /etc/group and /etc/passwd following a couple posts on the net. I also ran
Code:
find / -user <old UID> -exec chown <new UID> {} \;
and
Code:
find / -user <UID or username> -exec chgrp <new GID> {} \;
to change UID/GID of existing files. Looking to try again, but wondering if I just 'fat fingered' it or if I'm missing something. Thanks.