View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:17 pm 
I just installed knoppmyth R5E50 on a system with a PVR-150. I am at work, so I do not have my satellite receiver to connect to it. So I hooked a DVD player up to the S-Video port.

I can watch LiveTV just fine. But the system does not record anything. It does not record LiveTV.

When I am watching LiveTV, I press s and the guide appears. I then select a program on the guide with the carriage return. Up ops a menu to allow me to schedule a recording. I select "Record only this showing" and then select save. The box does not schedule a recording and if I tell it to record something that should be on right now, it does not start recording.

I thought maybe it didn';t work because I did not have anything in the "Channl change command" setting, so I put one there (there is no IR blaster yet). But still no luck.

I have also tried to Schedule a recording. But anything I try to schedule does not appear in the scheduled recordings screen.

Any ideas on what I may have done wrong?

Last edited by TaskyZZ on Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:54 pm 
Well, I am not sure what I did, but it seems to be recording LIveTV now. It may have been doing that already though, as I had not checked the /myth/tv directory to see if anything was getting written there.

So it seems my problem is that the machine will not let me Schedule any Recordings.

I tried using the program guide, program finder, and I tried setting up a manual recording. But when I finish setting up recordings, nothing appears in the upcoming recordings section.

Anybody have any ideas for me? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:58 pm 
TaskyZZ wrote:
I just installed knoppmyth R5E50 on a system with a PVR-150. I am at work, so I do not have my satellite receiver to connect to it. So I hooked a DVD player up to the S-Video port.

I can watch LiveTV just fine. But the system does not record anything. It does not record LiveTV.
I'm not sure I'm following: Are you saying that your "LiveTV" is actually a DVD you are playing? Or do you have a CATV hookup at work?

TaskyZZ wrote:
When I am watching LiveTV, I press s and the guide appears. I then select a program on the guide with the carriage return. Up ops a menu to allow me to schedule a recording. I select "Record only this showing" and then select save. The box does not schedule a recording and if I tell it to record something that should be on right now, it does not start recording.

I thought maybe it didn';t work because I did not have anything in the "Channl change command" setting, so I put one there (there is no IR blaster yet). But still no luck.

I have also tried to Schedule a recording. But anything I try to schedule does not appear in the scheduled recordings screen.

Any ideas on what I may have done wrong?

Have you setup the PVR-150, created a Video Source and assigned that source to an Input in mythtv-setup? See http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page ... WatchingTV if you answered "No" to any of those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:03 pm 
TaskyZZ wrote:
Well, I am not sure what I did, but it seems to be recording LIveTV now. It may have been doing that already though, as I had not checked the /myth/tv directory to see if anything was getting written there.

So it seems my problem is that the machine will not let me Schedule any Recordings.

I tried using the program guide, program finder, and I tried setting up a manual recording. But when I finish setting up recordings, nothing appears in the upcoming recordings section.

Anybody have any ideas for me? Thanks.
Looks like you slid this in on me while I was typing :)

If you are able to watch LiveTV then my previous post is probably not going to be too helpful. Is the time/timezone on the system correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:18 pm 
Thanks for the response.

Yes, the time and timezone are correct. I have guide data and it displays correctly. And yes, I have a DVD player hooked up to the S-Video port and I have the video capture card set as S-Video. I am letting the DVD player pretend to be my satellite box as I am at work and do not have any other video feed.

Everything seems to be working fine, I just can't schedule any recordings.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:44 pm 
Well, at this point all I can offer is a WAG - As your input is set to S-Video, and there isn't anything connected to the S-Video that would actually produce a channel that the Program Guide corresponds to, then it won't record (like I said, only a guess. I don't use a cable/satellite box, all my feeds come over CATV).

What do your /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log and /var/log/mysql/mysql.log/err files indicate? Should be some type of error in there somewhere...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:21 pm 
It would probably be a good idea to put /bin/true in the "Channel Change command", this is a dummy command to signal that the channel has been changed on the external device.

Bruce S.

Editied: to close formatting

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:58 am 
slowtolearn wrote:
Well, at this point all I can offer is a WAG - As your input is set to S-Video, and there isn't anything connected to the S-Video that would actually produce a channel that the Program Guide corresponds to, then it won't record (like I said, only a guess. I don't use a cable/satellite box, all my feeds come over CATV).

What do your /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log and /var/log/mysql/mysql.log/err files indicate? Should be some type of error in there somewhere...

Actually, the DVD player is hooked up to the S-Video port so the capture card does see a video stream (been watching Shrek for the last 3 days :O ). I can pause, RWD, FWD, etc. So it is recording LiveTV and the LiveTV files do appear in myth/tv.

bruce_s01 wrote:
It would probably be a good idea to put /bin/true in the "Channel Change command", this is a dummy command to signal that the channel has been changed on the external device.

Thanks, I was wondering about that. I was thinking maybe I needed a channel change command that would return true, so the machine thought it was changing channels. Since I am using the S-Video port, I figured mythtv knew it needed an external channel change command.

I am fairly new to linux. Is this /bin/true a standard way to always get a true response? And just for learning, is there a /bin/false as well?

Thanks for the help, will try this tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:56 am 
Setting the change channel command to /bin/true solved my problem.

Thanks for the help guys. After I get an IR Blaster I will get a real change channel script in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:49 am 
Quote:
Is this /bin/true a standard way to always get a true response? And just for learning, is there a /bin/false as well?

Yes, for both of these.

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1