View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:29 pm 
Hi, All,

I have installed R5F27 onto the machine with the specifications listed below.

Previously, on a non-HT p4/2.2 GHz w/512MB of RAM and a single 7200.10 SATA drive, LiveTV seemed to be ~80 ms "out of whack"--i.e. I had to go to "adjust audio sync" in then LiveTV OSD menu and change the delay from 0 to 80 ms.

Now, with a MUCH faster hard drive setup (more than twice the transfer rate, and ~half the seek time) it appears things are somehow worse?

I have to adjust the delay from 0 up to 260 ms now--eek.

I've tried the "extra audio buffering", to no effect. I've also changed the ringbuffer cache from 18800K up to ~65MB (in several different steps), to no avail.

The backend box and frontend box behave the same way--it appears to be something happening on the backend box itself, I guess. Even if the backend box is otherwise completely idle (no other recording or transcoding jobs etc.), it still happens when watching LiveTV from the frontend.

The backend box seems to be using most of the RAM, according to top.

OSD is retro, and I'm using Bob2x w/XvMC with the nVidia card.

This does not happen when watching recorded programs.

Is there a way to change LiveTV to permanently have a delay set for the audio so it will sync up? My wife's about to kick the box down the stairs.

Thanks for any insight!

Abit IC7-G
3x Seagate 7200.10 SATA (raid1 /, raid5 /myth)
eVGA FX-5500 AGP
3x PVR-150 (model 1045)
MCEUSB2 remote w/Philips USB transceiver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:55 pm 
Giving this a bump.

I have the same problem: audio way out of sync with live recording, but synced for recordings.

Sometimes pausing for several seconds and start playing again will get it closer, but still off.

Anyone else seen this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:11 pm 
i too have had audio sync problems with F27. i have more problems with transcoded recordings and playing compressed formats through the internal player.

my problems were improved by switching off commercial detection for recordings.. which helped.. videos i watch through xine rather than the internal player.

id not seen these problems with F1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:24 am 
Interesting... will try disabling auto commercial detection and see if that works.

Will report back w/results.

Abit IC7-G
eVGA FX-5500 AGP
3x PVR-150 (model 1045)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:18 am 
I disabled everything related to auto commercial detection I could fine, but no luck.

The only thing that seems to make any difference is to stop using xvmc for playback, but all the other options still seem too blurry to me.

Kinda funny--with xvmc cpu is at ~12% utilization... without it's ~20%--yet the audio syncs.

Aaargh.

Abit IC7-G
eVGA FX-5500 AGP
3x PVR-150 (model 1045)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:38 pm 
The problem could be related to XVMC as the process of decoding video is now done by the GPU and audio is still done by the CPU. In my mind the theory of the problem is that once the video is passed to the GPU for processing the CPU doesn't know where it is up to or what it is doing thus it can't sync the audio.

That would explain why if you turn off XVMC the audio is in sync. To test this theory people having the problem if you could change your decoding library off XVMC to something like Standard MPEG as a test and this would go some way to confirming the problem.

The other no one is saying whether the audio is faster or slower, this may help to see if the problem people are experiencing is the same or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:13 pm 
Girkers wrote:
The problem could be related to XVMC as the process of decoding video is now done by the GPU and audio is still done by the CPU.

I am also using XVMC.

Girkers wrote:
That would explain why if you turn off XVMC the audio is in sync. To test this theory people having the problem if you could change your decoding library off XVMC to something like Standard MPEG as a test and this would go some way to confirming the problem.

I started to play around with it today, but wife and kids kept interrupting the process. I do OTA and mostly football was on and thus difficult to determine if the sound is out of sync or not.

I started with turning off the deinterlace playback feature, and it seem to be in sync, but the picture was very jittery if anything moved quickly on the screen. Next I tried the "use video as a timebase" - No good. Then "enable realtime priority threads" - No good. I was about to try the "enable OpenGL vertical sync for timing", but interrupted. I'll try more things later including Standard MPEG. In the past, XVMC and Bob 2x have given me ~20% CPU utilization and other methods are >50%.

Question: At some point, I had to link the XVMC library (can't remember exact name, did it back at R5E50) inorder to get XVMC working correctly. Do I need to unlink it? Or just selecting a different MPEG2 Decoder enough?

Girkers wrote:
The other no one is saying whether the audio is faster or slower, this may help to see if the problem people are experiencing is the same or not.

For me, the audio is faster than the video. You hear people start talking and then their mouths move and keep moving even after you hear them finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:54 pm 
I also have audio ahead of video by over a second on my FE box, XvMC is on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:48 am 
You should no longer need to link the XVMC library as I believe human has the nvidia installer do this automatically. YES to disable XVMC you simply need to use a different library such as the Standard MPEG. Leave the options of real time priority on, bob 2x on, turn off use video as timebase and then change your video library.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:19 am 
I thought Bob2x required xvmc?

Hmm... will check it out.

Interesting: I made my first DVD of a couple of shows recorded back in June (prior to R5F27, obviously). Audio was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off.

Abit IC7-G
eVGA FX-5500 AGP
3x PVR-150 (model 1045)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:42 pm 
First, Thanks to Girkers for getting me on the right track. I have a working solution now, but I still don't understand why XVMC worked previously and now it doesn't. Two possibilities come to mind for my situation: 1) Moved to an HDTV, yet GPU is outputting a 1080i from an 1080i HDTV signal versus before it was taking a 1080i signal and down converting it to 480i. 2) Newer Nvidia driver for R5F27 versus R5E50.

Soultion: In Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback, I changed from XvMC to Standard. Here are my settings from left to right, top to bottoms on this "settings" page:
    Deinterlace Playback selected, Algorithm: Linear Blend, Preffered MPEG2 Decoder = standard, extra audio buffering selected.

I did not need to use "real time priority theads" or other syncing options on this page. Once I was no longer using XvMC, the audio and video were in sync.

Extra Information I gathered whilel mucking with it:
At first, changing the setting on this page did not seem to help anything. I finally just set it to "standard" MPEG2 decoder and rebooted. The reboot did wonders. This is the only way it seem to forget the XvMC settings.
Next, I played around with some settings while using top to monitor my Frontend (FE) and Xorg (Xo) CPU usage. I tested each setting on both a 720p HDTV and 1080i HDTV OTA signal

With above settings:
Code:
        FE(range)  FE(typical)   Xo(range)  Xo(typical)         ~total(typical)
720p    20%-30%      26%       6%-18%        8%                   34%
1080i   30%-32%      30%        5%-7%        8%                   38%

although, for 720p on some scene changes or switches from show to commercials, I was seeing peaks of X0= 98% and FE=24% (This is more that 100% but I do have a core2 duo so this makes sense).

Next, I changes to the "One Field" Algorithm:
Code:
720p    17%-32%      27%       5%-4%        6%                   33%
1080i   23%-34%      30%       5%-8%        7%                   37%

This also displayed peeks of Xo=98% and FE=24% on 720p content.

Finally, I tried the "Kernel" Algorithm:
Code:
720p    18%-31%      22%       5%-30%       6%                   28%
1080i   23%-37%      27%       5%-8%        6%                   33%

Although I watched for ~10minutes with 720p content and kernel algorithm, I never saw the spikes like "one-field" or "linear blend" had. Probably by the end of the week, I'll end up using the kernel algorithm.

Hope this helps you guys with similar problems. My only regret with this solution, is that the GPU seems to be taken out of the processing loop and it is all forced back on to the CPU (at least that's what I think XvMC does for you). If your system can't handle that, then I have no idea what to do.

Good luck,