View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:32 pm 
This one's kicking my rear . . . past solutions listed in the forums here and elsewhere haven't worked, so I come to you as a supplicant with hat in hand.

I'm trying to configure a Linksys WUSB11 v 2. 6 wirelesss adapter for use with my newly created knoppenmythenboxen (combined frontend/backend). I've tried everything I can think of -- the adapter uses an atmel chipset, and firmware for the device is present in the default install, but the device isn't recognized and the appropriate modules are not being loaded at boot. I've tried compiling the berlios atmel driver -- make fails with a gob of errors. I've even tried ndiswrapper -- I can successfully build a driver, but a look in the syslog when I attempt to load it shows a peculiar outcome -- loadndiswrapper states there are too many .SYS files present to successfully load. The conundrum is, eliminating even one of the .sys files results in failure of the ndiswrapper driver build.

I'd like to use a native linux driver if possible. Has anyone successfully built the berlios driver recently? As in with the 2.6.18 kernel? Is there another possible resolution other than the berlios atmel driver?

Barring the successful use of a native linux driver, any ideas on getting ndiswrapper to work?

I'm perplexed, and would greatly appreciate any help anyone could lend. I know your time is valuable, and I thank you all in advance . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:32 am 
do a "modprobe atmel"
and then replugin the device.

Does anything show in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages ?

As an aside, I always need do "dhclient <device>" and then to ctl-c - before
I can do anything with the device with iwconfig.. not sure why, but I think that
somehow dhclient is initalizing the device.

I have two wireless usb devices on my myth box, one a zd1211 (had to rename zd1211rw.ko for it work) and the other is a rt73. I had use the rt73 source (RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0.tar.gz) from http://www.ralinktech.com.tw to get it work though..

Post subject: Didn't work
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:20 pm 
I attempted "modprobe atmel". System logs show the device being recognixed as a USB device, but no configuration is performed, and iwconfig shows no wireless interfaces. I created a interface (wlan0) in /etc/network/interfaces, attempted a "ifup wlan0", and was not surprised to see no device configured for wlan0 and for dhclient to fail. Beauty. I'm beginning to think the easiest course of action is to just get a WAP and go from there.

Ugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:55 pm 
post what shows up in the logs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:06 pm 
Don't lose hope yet..

http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/usbtable.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:46 pm 
My apologies . . . I'm too lazy to dump the logs to a thumb drive and hoof them over to the computer with and internet connection. When I plug the device in, the logs show the following:

Oct 20 12:16:00 mythtv kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
Oct 20 12:16:01 mythtv kernel: usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

When I attempt "ifup wlan0" or dhclient, I get the following:

Oct 20 12:21:04 mythtv dhclient: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.4
Oct 20 12:21:04 mythtv dhclient: Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
Oct 20 12:21:04 mythtv dhclient: All rights reserved.
Oct 20 12:21:04 mythtv dhclient: For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
Oct 20 12:21:04 mythtv dhclient:
Oct 20 12:21:06 mythtv dhclient: Bind socket to interface: No such device

I'll have a peek at the info you sent on. I really appreciate your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:14 pm 
Does anything show up in the log when the module is loaded?
does a "lsmod |grep atmel" show anything

the log messages that you posted come up with almost any usb device and really don't mean much..

Post subject: Giving up
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:02 pm 
Thanks for the advice and assistance, mac, but I've run out of patience. No, the atmel module is not listed via lsmod. I'm going to acquire another WAP and configure it as a node on my existing network and use the machine that way. That should be an easy fix at least.

The real show stopper now is the lack of viable IR control. I'm using a PVR-250 with an aftermarket IR eye (receiver) plugged into it. My 250 came with a A415-HPG silver dogbone. I ran the LIRC config script, selected my remote, and tried it out. Nada. A quick look at /proc/bus/input/devices shows the IR control as being recognized (with a handler of kbd event2), but running evtest as root on the handler results in nothing when I test out the remote (no events are recognized). Is there something I'm missing here? I'll start a new thread and see what I can dig up. Thanks for the help on the other issue.