View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:40 am 
Last week a power outage killed my database.

Several attempts to repair it were unsuccessful, and I eventually had to resort to restoring the system using an old backup. The backup I had available was over three weeks old, and a lot of newly recorded shows were subsequently "orphaned" as a result.

I then had to run the myth.rebuilddatabase.pl script to recover the orphaned recordings that had been created by reverting back to an older database.

It seems that all recordings were recovered successfully, but now I have all of these entries without the appropriate recording info in my recordings list.

How do I manually edit the database to insert the correct information for each of these recovered shows?

Is there a utility that can be used to expedite this process?

Additionally, is there a way to schedule the backup process to run on it's own, say once a week or so, so that I don't get stuck with an old backup?
The season of frequent power outages is quickly approaching here in western MI (aka WINTER!) and I would prefer not to have to deal with this in such a painful way in the near future!

Last, but not least, does Knoppmyth support the use of a UPS natively, and if so, what steps are required to set this up?

DaveJ45

Last edited by davej45 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:45 am 
you put mythbackup in your crontab to have it run on its own every week..

add this line to /etc/crontab to have it run every monday at 5 am:

* 5 * * 1 root /usr/local/bin/mythbackup

===================

do a "man -k ups" also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:00 am 
I added the following to my crontab
Code:
19 03   * * */2 root    /usr/local/bin/mythbackup >> /var/log/mythtv/mythbackup.log

I wanted a little more frequent backup. This option backs up on Su, Tu, Th, and Sa at 3:19a. Additionally, it still creates the log file in the normal log location.

As for editing the show information, the only way I know how is to go into the mythconverg MySQL database and edit the "Recordings" table manually. There are many tools available for getting into MySQL, but I know that the web install script supposedly downloads and installs phpmyadmin. That is what I use, but I didn't use the install script to configure it, so I am not sure how that works.

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
BioStar A770, AMD X2 4050e, 2GB RAM
GigaByte GeForce 8400, Chaintech AV710
USB-UIRT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:55 pm 
I found the solution to this quite by accident, but it appears to work just fine..

From the Main Menu:
1. Select Media Library
2. Select Watch Recordings
3. Highlight the orphaned file you want to edit.
4. Right Arrow
5. Select Recording Options
6. Select Change Recording Title
7. Edit the Title and Subtitle as desired.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to re-flag for commercials, since this data was lost during the process that recovers the orphaned files.

DaveJ45

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:34 pm 
davej45 wrote:
Now all I need to do is figure out how to re-flag for commercials, since this data was lost during the process that recovers the orphaned files.
DaveJ45

1. Media Library ---> Watch Recordings.
2. Highlight the recording and press right arrow to bring up options
3. Select Job Options
4. Select Begin Commercial Flagging

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:53 pm 
davej45 wrote:
From the Main Menu:
1. Select Media Library
2. Select Watch Recordings
3. Highlight the orphaned file you want to edit.
4. Right Arrow
5. Select Recording Options
6. Select Change Recording Title
7. Edit the Title and Subtitle as desired.

When I ran the myth.rebuilddatabase.pl script recently I incorrectly labeled a show. This worked great for me! Thanks!

Does anyone know how to change the length of a show? When I labeled it wrong, I also said it was 30 minutes instead the 2 hours it actually is. (Does the length in the database even matter?)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:00 pm 
davej45 wrote:
Last, but not least, does Knoppmyth support the use of a UPS natively, and if so, what steps are required to set this up?

APC's are supported quite well. tjc did an installer that is on my system at /usr/local/bin/setup_apcupsd.sh I can't recall if this was part of the R5F27 upgrade or if I downloaded it from this thread

As I recall the steps were plug everything in, and run the script.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:50 pm 
jmckeown2 wrote:
I can't recall if this was part of the R5F27 upgrade

Yes, it's included in R5F27 out of the box, and the directions you gave should be all there is to it.

OBTW - davej45, if you have a USB connected APC UPS that the script doesn't recognize, let me know and we'll try to fix it so that it does. Jack already helped add support for some of the newer models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:04 am 
tjc

The USB connected UPS seems to be working quite well.
I actually found two incidents right after setting it up where there was a low voltage drop that caused the system to go onto battery power for a couple of seconds.

Now if I could just figure out how to modify things so that a shutdown event would trigger the opening of a telnet window to send the commands needed to shutdown my NASLite+ server before shutting down my Myth box I would be sitting pretty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:03 am 
davej45 wrote:
Now if I could just figure out how to modify things so that a shutdown event would trigger the opening of a telnet window to send the commands needed to shutdown my NASLite+ server before shutting down my Myth box I would be sitting pretty.
If your NASLite box can run the apcupsd daemon, see http://sourceforge.net/project/shownote ... _id=541283 where it mentions NIS net mode. Works fine for me, 1 APC powering a KM backend and a Slackware box, both shutdown gracefully during a power outage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:36 pm 
Unfortunately, the NASLite+ server software won't run the apcupsd daemon.

The ONLY way that other users have reported any success is by telenetting into the remote admin interface and doing a shutdown request.

There are scripts for doing this on a Windows machine on the Server Elements Forums, but nothing for doing this from a Linux machine.

I guess I'll just have to start Googling on how to create a script that the apcupsd daemon can call that will open a telenet session to the NASLite+ server.

I could switch to an Ubuntu server instead, but, gosh darn it, the NASLite+ JUST WORKS, and just fine, for the past couple of years. And if it ain't broke....