View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:58 pm 
I have been using Knoppmyth for awhile and have KDE as the desktop. I am constantly using Firefox and uTorrent on Desktop 2 while using Myth Frontend on Desktop 1.

What happens is if I watch a youtube video in Firefox and then return to myth, I have no audio but recordings will still play. If I play a song the visualizer does not move like it is actually playing the song just waits. If I play around long enough selecting different recordings and going through setup sooner or later it just kicks in again, but sometimes it requires a reboot. Is there a way to fix this or quickly aquire my audio back to the myth frontend. All my searches through the forum did not provide any answers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:34 pm 
shrabok wrote:
I have been using Knoppmyth for awhile and have KDE as the desktop. I am constantly using Firefox and uTorrent on Desktop 2 while using Myth Frontend on Desktop 1.

What happens is if I watch a youtube video in Firefox and then return to myth, I have no audio but recordings will still play. If I play a song the visualizer does not move like it is actually playing the song just waits. If I play around long enough selecting different recordings and going through setup sooner or later it just kicks in again, but sometimes it requires a reboot. Is there a way to fix this or quickly aquire my audio back to the myth frontend. All my searches through the forum did not provide any answers.

KDE apps starts artsd. This kidnaps the audio device, so you will have to kill it when you're done with KDE. No reboot required. Do a "ps -ef|grep artsd" and kill the pid.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:16 pm 
Is the a way to change KDE apps to use the same audio encoder as Myth, I noticed as well that streaming audio through myth (shoutcast) still works but all else fails. Is it possible these could all be set to use the same thing. I'm pretty sure myth is alsa correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:48 pm 
Site Admin
MythTV can use alsa. It can also use artsd (if I'm thinking correctly), however with KnoppMyth, it isn't compiled to use artsd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:14 pm 
I would have to say it looks like artsd is used and I was running knoppmyth with sound and artsd was still int he Process list. I have a feeling it might not be the case since sometimes myth can get sound back. I almost feel its like one aplication takes presense over the other and will not give it back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:49 pm 
I just tryed killing my firefox process and sound came back immediately. So it seems firefox holds control over the sound till its shutdown. I may need to do a few more tests but it seems things are starting to come together. I used to get this problem with amsn as well, and I think it would be probably one the same line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:26 pm 
in the kde control center, under
Sound & Multimedia
Sound System

there is a setting to have the kde sound system give up the exclusive lock if it has been idle for a certain number of seconds. Mine is at 60 seconds, I'm guessing that's a default because I probably would have made it shorter. This isn't on my knoppmyth box (no kde there right now) and may be a different version of kde, but the idea should be the same.

-John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:57 pm 
Hi, Thanks for the advice. I tried lowering it to 5 seconds but it still doesn't give it back. Firefox seems to keep a hold of it till I kill the Firefox process.