View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:25 am 
I just downloaded and installed the latest version, R5F27. Here's the hardware specs:

Asus A8N-E
1GB of Ram
OS Drive - 250GB PATA WD
Video Card: Asus with an ATI chipset (can't remember which one atm, it's PCI-E, bought in March of '06)
Hauppauge PVR250 w/grey remote (has the 4 colored buttons around the crosshairs)
Outputting via VGA to Samsung LNS4051-D, 1360x768@60Hz (had to manually edit xorg.conf to get this to work at this resolution)
Sound is onboard the MB, I'm using optical, had to muck with alsamixer to get this to work. (thx: shrabok)

The first and major problem, when I select "Watch TV", the screen goes black, after about a minute it goes back to the previous screen. This isn't a problem with the PVR250, cause when I "cat /dev/video0 >test.mpg", I can play back test.mpg with mplayer. I do have guide data, when I tried to record an hour long show last night, I got the following in /myth/tv/:

htpc:/myth/tv$ ls -l
total 68
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 58632 Feb 6 21:00 1003_20080206210000.nuv
-rw-rw-rw- 1 mythtv mythtv 136 Feb 6 22:02 1003_20080206210000.nuv.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 0 Feb 6 20:49 nfslockfile.lock

The .png file is blank btw.

When I browse the "recorded shows", then delete them all, it stops responding and I have to give it an CTRL-ALT-BKSPC to restart X. (this is problem #2)

Problem number three, my remote doesn't work properly. I thought it didn't work at all, but then when I went to rip a DVD, you have to hit "0" to start the rip, I did this on the remote at it worked. Then I hit "9" on the remote, and it canceled the job as it's supposed to.

That's the three major issues I have atm, any help is appreciated. One caveat however, I'm completely new to both KnoppMyth and MythTV in general. I've already done a tonne of reading/searching on this site but can't find anything specific to my problem.

Thanks in advance.
-C

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:57 am 
daddymak wrote:
I just downloaded and installed the latest version, R5F27. Here's the hardware specs:

Asus A8N-E
1GB of Ram
OS Drive - 250GB PATA WD
Video Card: Asus with an ATI chipset (can't remember which one atm, it's PCI-E, bought in March of '06)
Hauppauge PVR250 w/grey remote (has the 4 colored buttons around the crosshairs)
Outputting via VGA to Samsung LNS4051-D, 1360x768@60Hz (had to manually edit xorg.conf to get this to work at this resolution)
Sound is onboard the MB, I'm using optical, had to muck with alsamixer to get this to work. (thx: shrabok)

The first and major problem, when I select "Watch TV", the screen goes black, after about a minute it goes back to the previous screen.
A search for "black screen" should have turned up many hits ultimately pointing to http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... WatchingTV Be sure to read through the entire thing, perhaps you have configured your card as Analog V4L instead of MPEG-2 Encoder?

daddymak wrote:
When I browse the "recorded shows", then delete them all, it stops responding and I have to give it an CTRL-ALT-BKSPC to restart X. (this is problem #2)
I seem to recall this as being a known issue - Yep, "delete last recording" comes up with http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... +recording , but according to http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2971 it doesn't look like there is an upcoming fix. I believe you can work around this issue if you turn off the preview window.

daddymak wrote:
Problem number three, my remote doesn't work properly. I thought it didn't work at all, but then when I went to rip a DVD, you have to hit "0" to start the rip, I did this on the remote at it worked. Then I hit "9" on the remote, and it canceled the job as it's supposed to.
See #5 under Known Changes here http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16384

daddymak wrote:
That's the three major issues I have atm, any help is appreciated. One caveat however, I'm completely new to both KnoppMyth and MythTV in general. I've already done a tonne of reading/searching on this site but can't find anything specific to my problem.
As you are new to KM I suggest bookmarking http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/ Loads of information there, covers most of the issues folks have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:54 am 
Thanks, black screen was indeed due to the card being set as Analog V4L, set it to MPEG2 Decoder and fixed that.

I was a little confused when you stated that #5 of "Known Changes" is what I should be looking at for my remote issues, until a co-worker of mine pointed out that #5 of "Known Issues" is probably where I should be looking. I didn't follow it all, just did the following:

Code:
mv /lib/modules/2.6.18-chw-13/kernel/drivers/media/video/ir-kbd-i2c.ko /lib/modules/2.6.18-chw-13/kernel/drivers/media/video/ir-kbd-i2c.ko.old

So now that this box is halfway functional, I decided to plug my SATA storage drives back in, I was quite impressed when it noticed that /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 were part of a raid set and automatically created /dev/md0, all I had to do was add it to /etc/fstab. I then created symlinks in /myth/video/ point to the movies directory on /dev/sdc1 (mounted at /Multimedia). Went to "Video Manager" and it found all the movies. When I go to "Media Library", they're listed there, but when I select them in "Watch Videos", some of them are listed at 0 length.

Also, the font size in the program guide and some other areas are far too small. i changed this from "default" to "big" in the settings, but it looks the same, any direction on how to edit this?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:46 am 
A question on the
mv /lib/modules/2.6.18-chw-13/kernel/drivers/media/video/ir-kbd-i2c.ko /lib/modules/2.6.18-chw-13/kernel/drivers/media/video/ir-kbd-i2c.ko.old

I noticed I am getting a message when I boot that it is trying to find that modual and shows an error. Which file can I comment this out of so I dont get that error message on boot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:50 am 
I believe if you remove all references to ir-kbd-i2c.ko in /lib/modules/2.6.18-chw-13/modules.dep you won't get a boot time error anymore, but I don't want to edit that file too extensively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:30 pm 
So after installing w32codecs, I can play those movies I couldn't play before...In case anyone sees this thread and wonders what the fix was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:13 pm 
Fonts too small were fixed by changing KDE's default font sizes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:48 pm 
daddymak wrote:

Ask the log files or lspci: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=CheckingLogFiles
Code:
lspci | grep -i vga

daddymak wrote:

This is also known as the "R808" or "cigar" remote. (The numbers are molded into the inside of the battery door.)