View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:23 am 
Yesterday I finally bought a ups for my knoppmyth box. I got it home and plugged everytning in, ran apt-get install apcupsd. It installed fine, except for some warnings about some myth kernel modules not being symbolic links. I configured everything and did the tests. The last test of course is the shutdown test. The system shut down as expected when run time hit the 3 minute mark.

The problem is now when I try to boot up it throws an error saying it can't find the ext3 and jorunal kernel modules and dumps with a kernel panic. It of course booted up fine prior to installing apcupsd as I had to shut it down to plug it into the ups.

I have no idea what is going on. I can boot into a rescue disk and mount my root filesystem. I did an fsck on it and it is clean. Everything seems to be in the right place.

Please let me know what if any information is necessary to troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:46 am 
aazaroff wrote:
...ran apt-get install apcupsd. It installed fine, except for some warnings about some myth kernel modules not being symbolic links.
The problem is now when I try to boot up it throws an error saying it can't find the ext3 and jorunal kernel modules and dumps with a kernel panic.
See my first post here http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15237 If that doesn't resolve the issue please provide the exact error(s) leading up to the kernel panic, and which version of KM you are using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:58 am 
I'm guessing that your apt-get installed or upgraded a lot more than apcupsd. This used to require 3 packages; apcupsd, libsnmp-base, and libsnmp9, however they're already installed in R5F27 out of the box. All you should need to do is run the setup_apcupsd.sh script.

As to recovery... It sounds like you accidentally upgraded your kernel or something in that area. Use the usual rescue techniques from these pages:
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=WillNotBoot
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=BlackScreenAfterInstall

Your best bet is to boot from the CD in rescue mode, mount and chroot to make the partitions available, make a backup using the standard script, and then auto-upgrade to the same version using that backup.

Post subject: boot issue resolved.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:14 pm 
Thank you slowtolearn. That actually did the trick. I was logging back on to post some info from the boot output and saw your post. I had concluded it was something with the boot loader, I think it was not mapped properly to the initrd and could not mount the root filesystem. Immediately after the message that it was mounting the root filesystem there was a few messages, the two that the kernel modules jbd.ko and ext3.ko could not be loaded and from mount stating that the device (assuming root filesystem) was busy and could not be mounted (probably because the kernel modules were not available).

Thanks again.