View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:49 am 
I have searched for others having a similar problem, but none of them seem to match what is going on for me.

About a month ago I became unable to fastforward faster than 3x (same for rewind). I did not change any settings, it seemingly happened on its own. After some observation, I found that the hard drive seems to be working overtime. I know this because the hard drive light is on almost constantly when viewing a recording (or making a recording). I can no longer record a program and watch another one without the recording having a few errors in it (usually dropped frames).

To me, it sounds like a hard drive may be dying. But I am not sure. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:41 pm 
Hmm. Mine only does 3x for a few seconds, then it drops out on its own. I wonder now, if my disk may have trouble keeping up? I've always considered this to be a bug in Myth, but maybe my system isn't meeting the demands. I've got DMA on, and a 7200RPM IDE drive pair, in a LVM.
HD-only system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:00 pm 
thornsoft wrote:
Hmm. Mine only does 3x for a few seconds, then it drops out on its own.

I was just searching the forums on this subject. I think my search strategy was "fast forward freezes". The solution was to change the "Preferred MPEG2 Decoder" from "libmpeg2" to "Standard." You can find this in Setup/TV Settings/Playback.

Last edited by crushinator on Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:01 pm 
I had the exact same problem and found a fix. Hopefully this will work for you guys too.

Follow the steps in this thread:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... t=database

Specifically the post by Spud which states:

Quote:
was experiencing:
1) painfully slow skipping
2) commercial skip stopped working
3) recording editor would not start

I performed the steps described by cesman, which correctly identified recordedmarkup.MYI' as corrupt and repaired it.

One more step was required after repairing specifically the "recordedmarkup.MYI" database to fix the skipping problems.

mythcommflag --rebuild --all

This command rebuilds the seek table.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:12 am 
thornsoft, my problem sounds a lot like yours. I still haven't found a fix.

crushinator, I had a similar problem a few months ago, and indeed, switching to standard for playback does fix the problem.

I followed the steps to check my MySQL tables, and no errors were found. It seems that this is a slightly different problem anyway. The commercial skip works just fine. It is the fast forwarding that doesn't work properly.

At this point, I'm still looking for tips or suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:27 pm 
I didn't find any error in the SQL tables either. The problem didn't go away until after I ran
Code:
mythcommflag --rebuild --all

Martian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:51 am 
If it's an IDE hard drive, have you enabled DMA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:58 am 
FWIW, I've ordered a 750GB SATA300 from NewEgg ($125!), and will be moving my recordings onto it once the new KM with storagegroups arrives. I'll re-test this and report. My theory is that when FF'ing an HD stream, the disk can't keep up, and the FF function runs out of data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:59 am 
How much memory to you guys have in your Knoppmyth boxes? I recently upgraded to 2 GB on mine and saw improvement in fast forwarding HD content. I can now fast forward past the 3X mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:52 am 
novellahub wrote:
How much memory to you guys have in your Knoppmyth boxes? I recently upgraded to 2 GB on mine and saw improvement in fast forwarding HD content. I can now fast forward past the 3X mark.

Interesting... I've got 1GB, and could go to 2GB. @#$% DDR is expensive though. I think I've got a pair of 256 DDR sticks around here though, and may throw those in when I add my new HD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:37 pm 
I have an ATA100 (IDE) hard drive in my box and since I ran "mythcommflag --rebuild --all" I can fast forward and rewind at any speed even in 1080i recordings. I does give my drive quite a workout though!

Please note I have to have my decoder set to "Standard".

Martian