View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:50 am 
km box, r5e50
frontend/backend in one machine.

as a result of answers on my other recent questions, i looked in my /myth/tv directory as my recordings are present here.

i found 4 file-types to be present:
- <digitalname>.mpg
- <digitalname>.mpg.png
- <digitalname>.mpg.old
- <digitalname>.mpg.tmp

there are many *.mpg files and an equal number of *.mpg.png files (same 'names' in pairs)
there are not as many *.mpg.old files, but all are big and removing themm would solve my actual problems for free.
there are a few *.mpg.tmp files.

to show you an example:

Code:
root@mythtv:/myth/tv# ls *20080130225500*.* -al
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 1271758852 Feb  2 08:54 32339_20080130225500.mpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 2843123060 Jan 31 00:06 32339_20080130225500.mpg.old
-rw-rw-rw- 1 mythtv mythtv      25110 Feb  6 13:48 32339_20080130225500.mpg.png
root@mythtv:/myth/tv#

as *.mpg and *.mpg.png files seem to be paired, i expect they do belong to each other.
but what is the *.mpg.old file type??
is it the recording as i made it and is the *.mpg file (with the same name) that same recording after transcoding (using a cutlist e.g.), so could it be deleted without losing anything?

edit: some more looking at the /myth/tv directory shows, there is a whole bunch of *.mpg..old files (many Gigs), which are not listed together with *.mpg and/or *.mpg.png files of the same name (as in the example given above)...

thanks for reading and your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:22 am 
One time I accidentally set up Myth with the 'keep original recordings after transcoding' checked. That sucked up a ton of space... :oops:

You might give that a check in myth-setup page under the General section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:24 am 
knopprob
.old.......Google "mythtv mpg.old " Google is your friend
.png....... is a picture snapshot of the video
.tmp....... is the temporary transcode file. if transcode dos not complete or throws an error this file dos not get automatically deleted. In HD five or six 5-7 gig files can really add up. Your pretty file should also match your real recordings in the TV file. Your number of recordings in "Watch Recordings" should match the number of .mpg -- .png pairs in the TV file, which should also match the number in the "pretty" file.

Using Webmin file manager makes this process much easer.

TVBox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:22 am 
TVBox wrote:
.old.......Google "mythtv mpg.old "

just tried now: Google turned up this very discussion on top of it's (short!) list
Quote:
Google is your friend

hope Google is female and lean :wink:
Quote:
.tmp....... is the temporary transcode file. if transcode dos not complete or throws an

it has happened a few times transcoding gave problems, the tmp's will be from that.
Quote:
Using Webmin file manager makes this process much easer.

will search for Webmin now

and yes, i have enabled 'save original file after transcoding' as sometimes i have to transcode a recording twice with a different cutlist (two programs are broadcasted directly after each other, i want to record both, i am unsure if the first will end at the time my program list gives: in that case i make 1 recording and split afterwards by editing: 'delete first half and transcode' and 'delete second half and transcode'..
so i will use the original recording two times.

edit: have 'setup' webmin now and looked what it does offer, but don't see how i can manipulate files (my problem) from there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:48 am 
On the left hand side of webmin, open "others" then go to "file manager"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:56 am 
knopprob wrote:
(two programs are broadcasted directly after each other, i want to record both, i am unsure if the first will end at the time my program list gives: in that case i make 1 recording and split afterwards by editing: 'delete first half and transcode' and 'delete second half and transcode'..
so i will use the original recording two times.

I has been quite a while since I use r5e50 so I will talk about R5F27. All of these station pull this BS of moving start and end finish times around, here is what I do. Go to

Mythtv Menu>>Utilities / Setup>> Setup>>TV Settings>>General>>
Page; General (Advanced) Line; Time to record before show;
Page; General (Advanced) Line; Time to record after show;

and start off with 400 seconds in each. If the tuner is not being used it starts about 6 minutes early and ends 6 minutes late. During back to back shows on the same channel the 12 minutes in overlap time there are two streams being written to your hard drive from that one tuner. You may have to bump to 500 seconds just watch and see if you are cut short. Now your complete show is in one file. This works very well for prime time. You have added 12 minutes to your shows but if you CC an Transcode that is not a problem.

If you have recordings on different channels this is disregarded if there is no other tuners to use.

Now late night TV is sometimes more of a problem. Stations can be off by up to a hour go to your Program Guide and edit your program specific program.
>> Scheduling Options>>
Start recording early or late
I would guess this is what you are doing now. I do not like this setting and will only use it when I am sure I have a surplus of tuners. Using this setting uses up tuners so fast. You need two or more to do the job of one because of the staggered start / end times and overlaps.

Important you must go through your recordings and check that your>> Scheduling Options>> are set back to "start on time " "end on time" or the "Time to record before show" settings at the top of this post will not work.

Webmin is already setup

/usr/share/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin root YourPasswordHere
/etc/init.d/webmin restart
update-rc.d webmin defaults

Browser address https://192.168.0.21:10000/ ....... change to Your Boxes IP Address

Tools are necessary for knoppmyth. Webmin is always the first thing setup when I do an install. If you stay with E50 you may want to update your webmin.

TVBox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:23 am 
jzigmyth wrote:
go to "file manager"

thanks!
on my first exploration of Webmin i found just this not working.
trying the same on a better machine in the network it worked. it seems to have been a 'java' issue on the first machine i tried it on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:33 pm 
i have checked a handfull of *.mpg.old files (all without corresponding *.mpg and *.mpg.png files) which seemed to represent recordings already filed to dvd, and deleted them (in a simple terminal screen).

side effect: this solved the acute space-problem i started another topic about.

everything is fine again :wink: