View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:30 am 
Hi,

This may be a dumb question, but I have three front ends and one of them is my old laptop that is resource constrained. If I change the play settings to minimize buffering issues on the old laptop, it becomes the default for all front ends.

It's not clear to me how to set up playback options such that the slow laptop automagically gets a smaller playback stream and the faster front ends get a high-res playback stream.

Any advice would be great.

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:17 pm 
Separate settings are stored for each frontend, with each frontend being identified by a hostname field in the settings table. The hostname is normally set to the machine name, but there is the ability to specify a unique identifier for each frontend in case there are problems with the machine name changing or something like that. This is set in the Setup/General option of each frontend. I'm not sure how many of the settings use separate values for each frontend. There would be some settings that are global, for things like recording settings that are more backend related.

0.21 should also improve things because it introduces a new feature called playback profiles. Details are at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Playback_profiles. The profiles set for each frontend are also identified by a hostname field in the table they are stored in, displayprofilegroups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:04 pm 
Probably the first thing to check is whether you've given the same hostname to each frontend machine, because then they would all be using the same settings unless the unique identifier was specified.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:04 pm 
mpapet wrote:
Hi,
It's not clear to me how to set up playback options such that the slow laptop automagically gets a smaller playback stream and the faster front ends get a high-res playback stream.

I dont know if it is possible to actually send a different resolution stream to each frontend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:02 pm 
I will second turpie's comments, though I admit I am a little confused.

The settings you are describing, to me, sound like settings in the recording profiles - which, obviously, are applied to the recordings themselves and have nothing to do with the frontends. The frontends merely play the recording that is fed to them.

If you are describing a setting that I am not thinking of, please elaborate (i.e. which screen from which menu choices).