View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:47 pm 
I have discovered that my second card does not receive 2 channels (SBS and SBS HD) as well as the first card. Reception is so bad recording will fail. The problem could be the coax patch lead between the cards which is a home made special but it is funny it only effects the 2 channels.

With both cards the signal strengths and S/N ratios are similar for all channels (45% and 4.7 dB respectively) but when I try SBS through card 2 I get the same values but the BE number is huge (65535) whereas all others are around 0. What does this number mean? Before I replace the coax patch lead I would like to understand what's wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:40 am 
I think that is Bit Error rate. It should be zero once the tuner frontend is tuned. Very strange that it is just one channel. Do both cards use the same channel lineup? If not, I would suspect a wrong frequency for that channel on that card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:46 pm 
I've had similar problems. Channel 10 is the only one I get glitches on. One thing you can try is to redo the channel scan on the card that has problems and then see if it works better on both cards. Another thing is that there may be multiple frequencies for the same channel at different towers. One frequency might work better than the other. For example, in Melbourne there are two possible frequencies for sbs, 536.625 and 732.5:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_digital_television_technical_parameters

You'll need to search for "digital tv frequencies" and your location in google. There used to be a website where you could search by postcode but it's gone. If you find that you have a couple of frequencies for sbs in your location, you can try creating a multiplex for the frequency you aren't using in mythtv-setup and doing a scan on that multiplex. You might get better results.