View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:46 pm 
Hi,
You have put some serious work into the updated R6 version, looks nice. Thank you :)

One thing that occurs for me is the alt label Precipitation wants to show sometimes and that makes the graphs shift left. Occasionally other alt labels do the same thing. For now, I simply make then null as they pop up.

Also, the current values don't seem to be updating every 5 minutes as the appearance is like a 15 - 30 minute staircase. 12 samples per hour should show a fairly smooth graph? It is firing the update process every 5 minutes +1 second and takes usually 9 ~10 seconds to finish so that part is working and it has fresh data every minute to play with.

What is the easiest way to zero the db?
Mike
Sorry for the after thought but how / what is needed to make IE run request the cgi action? Or is it not even an option?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:12 am 
mjl wrote:
Hi,
You have put some serious work into the updated R6 version, looks nice. Thank you :)

One thing that occurs for me is the alt label Precipitation wants to show sometimes and that makes the graphs shift left. Occasionally other alt labels do the same thing. For now, I simply make then null as they pop up.

Also, the current values don't seem to be updating every 5 minutes as the appearance is like a 15 - 30 minute staircase. 12 samples per hour should show a fairly smooth graph? It is firing the update process every 5 minutes +1 second and takes usually 9 ~10 seconds to finish so that part is working and it has fresh data every minute to play with.

What is the easiest way to zero the db?
Mike
Sorry for the after thought but how / what is needed to make IE run request the cgi action? Or is it not even an option?
Thanks

Thanks for the kind words... when you said you're seeing a left shift in the alt label precipitation, and other alt labels, I'm not understanding what you're observing. Can you post a screenshot?

Also, which values aren't updating to your liking? The weather data itself isn't updated from the source every 5 or 10 min. In fact, it ranges from 30-75 min depending with the average being 45 min. If you nano or vim the /myht/rrdweather/ZIP.xml file you'll see a location for the update time. Watch it and you'll see what I mean :) The precipitation data seems to be updated even more infrequently than the temp. wind speed, etc. I watched once as we got a DOWNPOUR thunderstorm, and the rainfall numbers took over an hour to update. I have it pull rainfall every 30 min, but that's probably overkill. The moon phases only change every 24 h. I poll it every 12.

As to your final question, you might wanna poke around in the "internet Options" of IE to see if you are blocking certain actions. I dunno for sure since I rarely use IE. I would think that cgi scripts would be enabled by default though. <cough> <cough> Firefox <cough>... Seriously, unless you have a good reason to do so, don't use IE. Firefox is better on so many levels including security. Plus, you can install an extension (plugin) that will allow you to run IE embedded in Firefox for those pesky webpages that actually require IE. Okay, off my soapbox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:25 am 
Hi,
I don't have time this AM to do any shots but normally all the images align vertically, single row. Randomly (but I am sure there is a connection somewhere) an alt label will show in the area between two graphs. This can occur on either side which makes a slight image displacement away from the label on the image above it.

The sampling in the previous -mod and update scripts did things differently in that it seemed to use all the 5 minute samples that came its way. That made for nice smooth trends and changes.

I am not using the web scraping stuff, I create a new zipper.xml file using locally available data anywhere from every few seconds but not more than a minute separation. I will have to dig deeper to understand why it doesn't use the data more frequently.

I don't use IE except when at work where there are some things that just don't work so it is a forced situation. It was a partially converted friend that pointed that out to me :) He being IT said he tried all his tricks but it doesn't know how to do the cgi. Yet it is ok doing other sites cgi's scrips

Thanks for the feedback, I will look into the sample timing to see where I may have missed something.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:35 pm 
Mike - what you're describing with the alt-text makes sense to me now I think. If for some reason your webserver or rrdtool doesn't either make or display the png file, the alt-text is displayed instead. I don't think this is a problem with the cgi file, but with the server. If I run it on an older machine (800 MHz Athlon) it will occasionally do this too. A refresh of the page clears it. I honestly don't fully understand what is actually causing the problem though...

If you're using the db_update.sh to pull from your data, it will run every 5 min. I made a few other flagger scripts that do nothing more than write a zero-byte file that the db_update.sh looks for and updates from the source when it's present. All of the databases are getting updated every 5 minutes, some of them are getting fed "old" data though. That really isn't true since as I said, the source data isn't updated every 5 min. My way of doing it just saves bandwidth/queries to the source data server. Again, if the source is only updated every 45 min, why keep downloading old data? Keep the .xml/./html on your local disk and query that in my philosophy.

Anyway, since you're using your own data, just make a section in db_update that pulls from your source which will run by default every 5 min.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:06 pm 
Hi,

No, I wasn't questioning why but more or less how / where is the update of the db controlled? Using my own locally generated data, there is need for me to wait longer than the preset 5 minutes for updated information. The script runs every 5 minutes as per cron.d entry.

Assuming the db is updated every 5 minutes, even if old data, what controls the step time between what is displayed? If the displayed samples were more frequent, that would only increase the process time to build the graphic I should think. I can wait the extra few milliseconds for the "extra" ...... .

My rrdweather server is a bit slower than yours :oops: but the graphic would be there. Guess the tag just got there first?

I appreciate the hints and insights. Still trying to wade through all the changes from the previous cgi scripts. I am thinking that is where the sample time occurs for display. Back to the tutorial :)
Thanks
Mike

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3