View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:40 pm 
I followed Cecil's LinHES guide and the wiki Slave Backend Howto. More correctly I should say I attempted to follow, because obviously I'm not doing something correctly with the videos. My end goal is to have the videos accessible on both FEs along with their associated posters. Here are some setup basics:

MBE
R5.5
videos stored in /myth/video

SBE
R5.5
videos stored in /mnt/mythtvmaster/video
/etc/hosts and /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt configured correctly

If I scan the videos on the MBE and/or add movie posters, then when I go to the SBE and select Watch Videos I see an 'unknown prefix' directory with a mythtvmaster directory below it and then videos. When I select any of the videos it does not play.

If I scan the videos on the SBE, I will get a warning that 'myth/video/VIDNAME' is not found because, I assume, it is getting the full pathname to the vids from the mysql database. After scanning the vids will show up in the top level of the Watch Videos section (no more 'unknown prefix' directory) and the videos do work. I can also watch them on the MBE although if I scan again on the MBE it gives me lots of errors because the '/mnt/mythtvmaster/video/VIDNAME' is not found.

I can see the problem here but don't know how to proceed. Even though videos don't work like TV recordings, they do seem to rely on the mysql database. Both BEs are using the MBE database and work flawlessly with TV recordings, but the vids mess them up.

I'm thinking the solution might be to symlink the sbe /myth/video directory to the /mnt/mythtvmaster/video directory and then point the sbe video settings back at /myth/video so that it will store the database entries using the same name as the MBE. Does that sound right? I think I'll give it a go and then report back if it worked.

Last edited by DoomedTX on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: SOLVED
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:26 pm 
Ok, apparently what I needed to do was compose my thoughts enough to write a halfway coherent post, because I answered my own question there. On the SBE I symlinked /myth/video to /mnt/mythtvmaster/video and then ran setup and pointed the video directory back at /myth/video and the covers at /myth/video/.covers. Everything seems to be working great!

I still don't understand why TV and videos are treated differently in MythTV. They are both video files stored on the hard drive. A TV video can be recorded on either machine and stored on one of 4 hard drives. I can play that TV recording on either machine with absolutely no trouble. A Video, on the other hand, by default will not play on the slave frontend even though the slave will "see" the available videos because it reads the descriptions from the database. In any event, I seem to have tricked my way into making it work the way I want it so I'm happy. WAF just increased 20 points on the news that we can now watch The Weeds and other DVD rips in the bedroom as well! :D