View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:26 am 
I'm running a relatively fresh install of R5.5 and noticed something I don't remember in previous versions. When I'm in the video manager and either directly select 'Enter IMDB #' or select that option when the auto search fails, I get a box where I can type the number. However, I can't seem to effect the search once the number is entered. I'm certain that I did this in previous versions by typing the number and either pressing the select button on my remote or by moving to an 'OK' selection and pressing select.

However, in 5.5 when I press select it brings up the on-screen keyboard instead of running the search on the number I just entered. I can't see any other way to press enter here without a keyboard. For a temp fix I connected via vnc so that I could type the number and press enter (I have a keyboard but it's not handy to get to it). I also tried various themes to see if perhaps there's an 'OK' button that I'm not seeing, but so far I've had no success.

I must be missing something easy because no one else is posting this problem as far as I can tell.

Last edited by DoomedTX on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:44 am 
It's a UI "feature" intended to make text entry via a remote control easier. It drives me nuts too and I've been looking for a way to totally disable it. (The UseVirtualKeyboard setting in the DB is supposed to control it, but isn't 100%) You should still be able to get the text in and select the UI button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:01 am 
We might be saying the same thing, but to be clear: the problem is I don't see any UI button, just a small text window for numeric entry. Once the number is in, the only buttons on the remote that work are back and select. Back cancels the transaction and select pops up the virtual keyboard which, as far as I can tell, has no way to submit. I've tried all the non-obvious buttons on the virtual keyboard (such as "Comp") but so far nothing gets me past the entry window...done just returns me to where I started without submitting. If indeed that's a feature to make entry via a remote easier, how come there's no way to actually enter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:03 am 
DoomedTX wrote:
We might be saying the same thing, but to be clear: the problem is I don't see any UI button, just a small text window for numeric entry. Once the number is in, the only buttons on the remote that work are back and select. Back cancels the transaction and select pops up the virtual keyboard which, as far as I can tell, has no way to submit. I've tried all the non-obvious buttons on the virtual keyboard (such as "Comp") but so far nothing gets me past the entry window...done just returns me to where I started without submitting. If indeed that's a feature to make entry via a remote easier, how come there's no way to actually enter?

Ok, I see now...PLAY is the enter key...thought I'd tried all the remote buttons but play worked just fine...now I just renamed Bourne Identity to '123456' which is Beverly Hills Blondes :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:33 am 
I had this problem too, but it turned out to be using a wide-screen theme on my SD tv. Can't remember which theme it was though... but after I switched back it was fine.

MicroAtx Case
2 PVR250's w/remote
eVGA e-GeForce mx4000 (64 Ram with Tv/Out (Svideo))
Lite-on DVD cd-rw combo
120 GB Western Digital

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:44 am 
elgordo123 wrote:
I had this problem too, but it turned out to be using a wide-screen theme on my SD tv. Can't remember which theme it was though... but after I switched back it was fine.

Changing the theme didn't change anything for me...looks like the piece I was missing is that the Play button on my remote is now the enter key in this particular place.