View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:08 pm 
marc.aronson wrote:
mikemcc11, glad the instructions worked for you!

Too Many Secrets -- I suspect you are editing the wrong location in the file. Search for the string 'print XML "\t\t<Name> ' (without the single quotes on either side) and add the new line just prior to that line. I just uploaded my edited version of get_iplayer to the wiki and attached it to the mythvodka wiki page -- try downloading it and diffing it against what you have. md5sum of the file is 2acf256cd4df1cadeea2438f9a8c9050

mikemcc11 & Too Many secrets, run the mythfrontend from an xterm and see if you get any error messages in the xterm when the front end dies. This happened to me at one point, but I don't recall exactly what I did to resolve it, but post the output in the xterm window and I'll see if I can help you out.

graysky, I'll read those instructions and see if they help on the missing codec. The good news is that this doesn't prevent me from using mythvodka -- it winds up to be a separate issue.

Marc

Yes, I must have been inserting in wrong place, your search worked.

Now how do I set this up to cron so I don't have to wait an hour?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:37 pm 
marc.aronson wrote:
I've created a tarball that contains all of the files I built and attached it to the wiki page as file "mythvodka_for_km55.tgz".

??? I don't see it..... Have another look after some sleep! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:24 pm 
thornsoft wrote:
marc.aronson wrote:
I've created a tarball that contains all of the files I built and attached it to the wiki page as file "mythvodka_for_km55.tgz".

??? I don't see it..... Have another look after some sleep! :wink:

Thornsoft, I see it when I look at the attachmentspage of the mythvodka write up. I tried it today on my production machine and it works. I'll update the wiki writeup at some point so that people know there is now an easier approach.

Too Many Secrets, the write up on how to move things into a cron script is in the mythtv wiki-- -- look towards the bottom of the page.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:03 pm 
D'oh! Sure, it's there. Sorry!
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=attachments/MythVodkaHowTo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:06 am 
wiki has been updated and now provides two choices for installing:

1. 19 step process to install the latest MythVodka version.

2. 4 step process to install the pre-built version.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:59 am 
Thanks mark and everyone for making this install as painless as possible. This does work and stream hulu nicely. Haven't tried everything, but it does work.

Couple thoughts: it's still (I'd call it) Alpha in it's design, but very usable once setup correctly with crontab hulu download. For me it still has a tendency to blowout the FE if the hulu.xml file isn't perfect, and it won't work at all if the file is still being created.

Tip on crontab gethulu.pl /var/tmp/hulu.xml in your cron once nightly. (This takes around 40 minutes to complete) Then insert and replace existing with /bin/cat /var/tmp/hulu.xml to your Hulu Grabber in the Vodka Settings.

You can also run gethulu.pl /var/tmp/hulu.xml from a putty session to see it work and how long it takes if you wish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:11 pm 
I followed the 4 step process from the Wiki. That is really quick and easy.

It seems to work fine. I'll know more once I get the list loaded.
This system was a little b/w limited on the motherboard so trying to do hulu.com via Firefox and Flash was still a little skippy full screen

I'll be anxious to see how this works once I get the list loaded.

I ran the
Code:
gethulu.pl /var/tmp/hulu.xml

In a putty window and that works. although very slow for me on my limited connection.

I looked for the Crontab instructions and could not find them on the links.

Any thoughts or hints?

TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:50 pm 
bigbro wrote:
I followed the 4 step process from the Wiki. That is really quick and easy.

It seems to work fine. I'll know more once I get the list loaded.
This system was a little b/w limited on the motherboard so trying to do hulu.com via Firefox and Flash was still a little skippy full screen

I'll be anxious to see how this works once I get the list loaded.

I ran the
Code:

In a putty window and that works. although very slow for me on my limited connection.

I looked for the Crontab instructions and could not find them on the links.

Any thoughts or hints?

TIA

Code:
This should be fine to run via cron. something like this should work.
Code:
49 2 * * *      root    gethulu.pl /var/tmp/hulu.xml

Also note that the first time you open Vodka, it seems to wait forever on 40% even if you've run the cron code and have a completed hulu.xml file. However upon subsequent usage it opens within seconds and your ready to go. Just be prepared for a 20 minute wait the first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:50 pm 
I decided to give MythVodka a go. It just looks to good to pass up. Normally I do things "the hard way" so I can learn and hopefully understand what I'm doing but I decided to go ahead and take the easy route this time and use the tarball.

Too Many Secrets, am I correct that your cron entry would run "gethulu.pl /var/tmp/hulu.xml" daily as root at 2:49 am?

Also would I be correct in adding that to the crontab by issuing "crontab -e" and entering in the line you provided?

I suppose I could also create a file with only that line and add it to crontab by issuing "conrtab -f myfile"?

Sorry for the question, I've just never done anything with cron before and I don't want to mess it up.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:49 pm 
Martian, hardly a cron guru here. My comments are in red

Martian wrote:
I decided to give MythVodka a go. It just looks to good to pass up. Normally I do things "the hard way" so I can learn and hopefully understand what I'm doing but I decided to go ahead and take the easy route this time and use the tarball.

Too Many Secrets, am I correct that your cron entry would run "gethulu.pl /var/tmp/hulu.xml" daily as root at 2:49 am? Correct

Also would I be correct in adding that to the crontab by issuing "crontab -e" and entering in the line you provided? I think so, but I just edit crontab with nano.

I suppose I could also create a file with only that line and add it to crontab by issuing "conrtab -f myfile"? This -f isn't showing in man crontab, so I don't know.

Sorry for the question, I've just never done anything with cron before and I don't want to mess it up. I understand, but just make a backup before editing. Then you can always go back if you bork something...

Martian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:39 pm 
I've added a 3-step writeupon how to setup the cronjob download. It includes a small script that ensures that your current data is not over-written until you have a full download of the new data. This should avoid the problem of your data being over-written while you are using the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:47 pm 
I'm doing the grab now... too bad they don't provide a good feed. Probably would be violating their copyright laws if we tried to save bandwidth (and server hammering) by sharing a nightly grab. Too bad. We'll all just slowly kill them until they get wise to it and cut us off.

Marc - thanks for working so hard on this. I have high hopes for the new procedure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:25 am 
I have it working, kind of. The grabber is in the cron job, and I can watch Hulu stuff. I took out the other grabber (on the mythvodka setup) because I didn't want to wait for it, and just wanted the hulu stuff. Now it loads quickly.

I've got no sound. I think it's my setup. I'm able to hear sound on my HD recordings and MP3s. But not on videos or MythVodka. So my analog sound probably isn't set right. I've played with the alsa/ac3/passthru stuff in the mythtv setup | general screen, but that hasn't helped. I've got a Chaintech AV-710. Any tips?
--
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:42 am 
thornsoft wrote:
I've got no sound. I think it's my setup.

Fixed! I used Human's /usr/lib/krp/AV710_asoundrc instead of my /etc/asound.conf (copied his into mine) and I've got sound. Cool.
We're watching an old ep of Adam-12 now.

Observations: PQ is good.
Most things play.
The grabber isn't perfect. I tried to watch SNL and the episodes listed were from The Family Guy. But there are thousands of other things that DO work.

With the BBC, etc. grabber disabled, and the hulu grabber running from cron, MythVodka loads in about 4 seconds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:53 am 
I also have it working now. It took *forever* to load the first time but now it's near instant. I've not yet come across anything that hasn't worked but I haven't played with it a whole lot.

My wife was actually the first to use it once it finally loaded the first time (I was in the middle of a RAID in Lord of the Rings Online :D ) She jumped right in and was watching old episodes of the Twilight Zone and Bewitched in just a few minutes with zero instruction from me. Saying that WAF (Wife Approval Factor) was through the roof would be an understatement!!! Thanks to all of you who worked so hard to make the install simple and painless. Thanks to your efforts I am living in a very happy household!

After watching about 2-3 hours of hulu content I'm quite pleased with the quality. It's certainly not HD but very watchable. I'd would say it's on par with watching SD recordings from my PVR-500 for the most part perhaps with a few more MPEG artifacts (no doubt from encoding it on the fly). The menu is extremely easy to navigate and there is SO much content to choose from! I was able to pause and resume with no issues however fast forward and rewind did not seem to do anything (I can't say that I'm overly surprised).

The only real annoying issue I've found so far is if you stop a movie or a show and then want to resume from where you left off. I've not figured out how to do this. I think it's possible on hulu.com but I'm not sure it can be done in MythVodka. This is extremely annoying if your an hour and a half into a movie and the dog steps on the return button on the remote (happened this morning). Anyone have any ideas?

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next