View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:07 am 
recorded a tv program on my knoppmythbox.
in the editing 'mode' i inserted cutpoints (header and footer should be removed)
NOTE: i noticed a change in the video-modus (on screen; size of items in the screen changed) as my pointer was in the piece of program that followed my (desired) recording..
i guess the broadcast for the next program was in another definition (16:9 e.g.)
after saving the file with its cutpoints i did 'transcode'.
after the process in myth/tv the files
recordingname.mpg
recordingname.mpg.png
recordingname.mpg.tmp
are present (i alway retain the original file)
the *.tmp file is smaller that the *.mpg file, and made at the time of transcoding, so i guess it is the product of the transcoding process.
in a terminal screen, i can play the *.mpg.tmp file nicely using vlc.
BUT i want to end with an iso to burn to dvd-disc.

normally i get 3 files:
recordingname.mpg
recordingname.mpg.old
recordingname.mpg.png
in the iso-making process the *.mpg file is used.

my belief: the results first mentioned (the *.mpg.tmp) give a wrong file to process to an iso

i have some more recordings on my box that resist being transcoded correctly.
of some i know there is such a 'change in video-mode' as i said above during the recording.

what can i do to overcome the problem? (which is very annoying to me)

thanks for useful info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:20 am 
I've only seen one "transcode" type failure since upgrading to R5.5, and that was creating a DVD from recordings where it lost the audio track after a cut. The MythTV version in R5.5 has many transcoding fixes. If you don't want to upgrade you might be able to build and install an updated MythTV, but R5E50 is more than 2 years old at this point...

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13537

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:40 pm 
thank you for your kind answer.

no, i am not against an update, but i cannot backup the recordings (not enough space on the only harddisk in the system);
i am unsure though if the advised 'backup' is a backup of the program files only (in that case space would be enough)

i did an autoinstall originally, so would like to rely on an auto-update.

i do see in the topic:
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=113368#113368
upgrading from an older than R5F27 version (my R5E50 is) would be risky.
does that mean i can better auto-upgrade to R5F27 and to R5.5 after that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:20 pm 
knopprob wrote:
no, i am not against an update, but i cannot backup the recordings (not enough space on the only harddisk in the system);
i am unsure though if the advised 'backup' is a backup of the program files only (in that case space would be enough)

You don't need to back up the recordings, just the configuration files and such. The /myth directory/partition where all your media files and the backups themselves live is left alone by the upgrade.process. See the current "Taking advantage of the enhanced backup and restore scripts" posting linked from the R5.5 Hints for details.
knopprob wrote:
i did an autoinstall originally, so would like to rely on an auto-update.

Yep, that's the idea.
knopprob wrote:
i do see in the topic:
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=113368#113368
upgrading from an older than R5F27 version (my R5E50 is) would be risky. does that mean i can better auto-upgrade to R5F27 and to R5.5 after that?

The blood curdling warnings are mostly there to make people think and do their homework before doing something dumb. We've had lots of folks upgrade from older versions with minimal issues. R5E50 has a relatively modern backup script so you don't need to use the manual process, and you've already got xorg style X configuration. The biggest thing I'd be careful about is making sure that you've got a clean unambiguous backup as described under Phase 0.

Definitely read the R5F27 hints which contain more details about updating from older versions. These got trimmed out of the R5.5 Hints because they were becoming overwhelming for folks. http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16384

The other big thing that people struggle with is the new MythTV playback profiles, so definitely read the information on the MythTV wiki about those.