View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:13 pm 
Hi, first of all thanks nharris for all the work on this! I've been watching these threads for some time and finally picked up an HD PVR from a local retailer as a result. You should ask for a commission from Hauppauge. :)

I followed the instructions at the start of this thread to switch my R6 system to mythtv-svn and the system detected the unit okay and I got it configured in mythtv-setup without too much trouble. That's the good news, however I am having some operational problems...

First is the colour is all wrong... "inverted" seems the best way to put it. For example the National Geographic logo that's supposed to be yellow is showing as blue. I've doublechecked all connections, and furthermore if I view directly on my TV through the passthrough output from the HD PVR it looks fine. Picture controls in MythTV and on my TV are set at reasonable values (i.e. at or near the middle). Has anybody seen this before and if so how can I fix it?

The second is that in MythTV the video "hiccups" (pauses briefly) every few seconds. I enabled VDPAU in the playback profile and I have a fairly powerful AMD X2 system so I was not expecting performance issues. Video card is an 8600GS. How can I check to make sure the system is actually using VDPAU?

Third is that it's totally unstable. I can only view Live TV once or twice and then I have to restart the backend and frontend to get it to work again. I see others are having similar reliability issues. I also have an HVR-1600 card installed... could it be a conflict? Ultimately though I'm going to want to use them both together so I hope they aren't incompatible...

I should note that I just got it working late last night and had only about an hour to try it out, so I haven't done any troubleshooting or digging through logs yet, and also I've only tried it with Live TV. However if so somebody could save me some time by pointing me in the right direction as to how to proceed for when I get home from work, I'd appreciate it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:38 pm 
paulsid wrote:
First is the colour is all wrong... "inverted" seems the best way to put it. For example the National Geographic logo that's supposed to be yellow is showing as blue. I've doublechecked all connections, and furthermore if I view directly on my TV through the passthrough output from the HD PVR it looks fine. Picture controls in MythTV and on my TV are set at reasonable values (i.e. at or near the middle). Has anybody seen this before and if so how can I fix it?

I have seen color trouble reported with VDPAU before (although I have never experienced any problems myself). Try getting CPU decode working first and then move on to VDPAU.

paulsid wrote:
The second is that in MythTV the video "hiccups" (pauses briefly) every few seconds. I enabled VDPAU in the playback profile and I have a fairly powerful AMD X2 system so I was not expecting performance issues. Video card is an 8600GS. How can I check to make sure the system is actually using VDPAU?

Not all video cards can handle all the VDPAU deinterlace methods. This may be your problem. Start with a simple deinterlace method (like 1 field or linear) and work up to temporal/advanced. You will know when you are using VDPAU by checking your CPU usage. There is a huge difference.

paulsid wrote:
Third is that it's totally unstable. I can only view Live TV once or twice and then I have to restart the backend and frontend to get it to work again. I see others are having similar reliability issues. I also have an HVR-1600 card installed... could it be a conflict? Ultimately though I'm going to want to use them both together so I hope they aren't incompatible...

If you fix your set-top box resolution (to say 720p), I have found that I can run for weeks with no problems. However, if you let your resolution float, the HD-PVR can hang (not a driver/myth problem) or you can have mythtv issues.

Live TV is a weakness of MythTV in general and even more so for the HD-PVR. I pretty much avoid Live TV since it did not work in the past at all. It's rumored to be much more stable now, but I would suggest you get your other issues worked out first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:01 pm 
Cool, thanks! I will try experimenting with the decoder/interlace settings and see if I can find a working configuration. According to Wikipedia the 8600GS only supports the most basic feature set for VDPAU so you might be right that it's being asked to do something it can't handle.

I don't use LiveTV too often in practise, it just was a quick way to test the setup. Next time I'll try it with a recording and see if that yields better results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:29 pm 
Success! Turned out to just be little stuff thank goodness.

Using a recording is indeed more stable, and on top of that it made the other problems evident. For one, setting up the recording rule made it easy to see I'd actually set VDPAU on the wrong profile... enabling it on the right one made the stuttering go away. Also once I had the recording, the thumbnail showed correctly, which meant the wrong colours issue had to be a playback setting. I lowered Hue down to 0 and now it looks fine... guess I thought 50 was normal for that since it is for everything else.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:28 am 
I have found a problem with the latest mythtv-svn build.

One of the reasons I had asked for the new build was because I wanted to use the latest Jamu/MythVideo. This allows for storage groups for MythVideo and since I was just about out of space, I thought it was a good time to get another drive and go to storage groups so future adding of disks will be simpler. The price for doing this is that the Internal Player must be used. A third party player (like mplayer which I was using) will not work with storage groups. They hope to fix that in 0.23.

All appeared to go well. Except when I try to play a video with DTS. It no-workie by the fact there is no sound. Or sometimes a crackle here and there. A video with AC3 works fine. A random few times playing a DTS file core dumped mythfrontend. These problems come up when I play a bluray rip MKV file with DTS. I have a DVD rip MKV file with DTS that plays fine. So something with the higher resolution.

So perhaps it's not something new with the latest mythtv-svn, I may just be noticing now because I went to the Internal player.

I've been over all the audio settings and I don't think there is a problem there. I've checked the log and there isn't anything different when I play both files. Just one works the other tends to core dump mythfrontend.

This problem only occurs when I'm using AC3/DTS SPDIF passthrough to my surround sound system. My other clients just simply connect to their TV via stereo cables and all files play fine.

So I guess my point for posting here is:

1) To ask if people could see if they have this same problem.
2) Any suggestions for debugging further.

I can go back to not using storage groups and use NFS/mplayer instead. But it was an awful lot of work to recreate the metadata even using Jamu as a bulk updater. I really would rather like to avoid doing all of that again as it will all be lost going back.

Crap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:57 pm 
Oh well...accidentally "scanned for changes" on one of the clients and emptied my video metadata database. Oops. :oops:

Just as well, went back to using mplayer for MythVideo. Much better player than the Internal for videos anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:02 am 
Stupid question. I just installed the *-svn packages on my R6 box. Pacman warned me:

Code:
(15/16) installing mythweb-svn                      [##############################################] 100%
You must create a symlink from /home/httpd/html/mythweb/video_dir
to your MythTV recordings directory. Don't forget to change the
permissions so that the webserver can read those files and create
thumbnails.

I did this:

Code:
# mkdir -p /home/httpd/html/mythweb/
# cd /home/httpd/html/mythweb/
# ln -s /myth video_dir

I then restarted mythbackend but something got roached. When I bring up my mythweb,

Code:
Error

Unable to connect to the master backend at 192.168.1.4:6543.
Is it running?

EDIT: wait a sec... is VDPAU required for the 0.22-svn build? Machine is OLD and is using a 440MX and the 96-xx-xx drivers. Is this my problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:46 am 
graysky wrote:
EDIT: wait a sec... is VDPAU required for the 0.22-svn build? Machine is OLD and is using a 440MX and the 96-xx-xx drivers. Is this my problem?

Not sure. My master backend just has a FX5200 in it. I do use the "vesa" driver in xorg.conf on that machine. My backend is not connected to a TV so I don't care.

It doesn't seem like VDPAU or lack-there-of would effect mythbackend. I guess check the logs and perhaps you will see what it is complaining about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:57 pm 
djb61230 wrote:
It doesn't seem like VDPAU or lack-there-of would effect mythbackend. I guess check the logs and perhaps you will see what it is complaining about.

Yeah, looks like the 0.22 version is complied with some VDPAU stuff.. When I try to run mythtv-setup I get "mythtv-setup: error while loading shared libraries: libvdpau.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

My backend log is full of errors like:

"2009-10-31 14:51:47.791 MainServer::HandleVersion - Client speaks protocol version 50 but we speak 40!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:16 pm 
Yeah I guess that does make sense since the Internal player knows about VDPAU. On my backend I have the libraries installed, just don't use the nvidia driver for X. Again it's not critical for me because I don't use it to WATCH anything, just to run mythtv-setup etc.

What are you going to do? Any chance you could get a 8000 series card? I think you can still get them in PCI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:55 pm 
My MBE box doesn't have any free PCI slots... it does have an out dated AGP 2x I think. I'll think of something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:02 pm 
I wanted to give mythtv-svn at try but don't have a VDPAU capable test system.

I downloaded the build source from here. (looks like a new one was just added tonight) I deleted the --enable-vdpau from the #configure section of the PKGBUILD file. After makepkg finished, pacman -U installed it. I didn't get to use it much due to a hard drive failure, but it seemed to work pretty good.

I used this as reference. Customizing these arch packages seems pretty easy. I can see the benifits to the switch.

Post subject: theme
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:17 pm 
Oops! I did not read carefully to the warnings... I failed to notice that I should have changed the linhes theme before upgrading.

How do I change it now that I have already upgraded?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:00 pm 
You will need to edit your database directly or use mythweb (if your backend is running).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:09 pm 
I popped into the IRC and got an answer before I saw yours... This is what I ended up doing...

mythfrontend -O Theme=Mythbuntu

Once in, I just changed the default from linhes to another one...

BTW, does the IR blaster on the HD PVR work yet with Mythtv?

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next