View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:16 pm 
I had fun today trying to integrate R5.5 with my existing ZoneMinder installation.

It should be straight forward except for a bunch of tiny gotchas all over the place that will frustrate the uninitiated. Part of the reason is much of this is undocumented and google doesn't give many clues. I had to code dive to figure out what was going on.

I tried to integrate with the latest ZoneMinder (1.24.1) but I could not get the SHM_KEY issues worked out. No matter what I did, I got an invalid key back and thus could not get Live feeds working. I was trying to do this using the Arch based LiveCD install.

What will work though is anything equal to or earlier than 1.23.3. I backed off to 1.23.3 in order to get this integration.

Almost all of the work to be done is on the ZoneMinder server. In my case I had installed the LiveCD which is based on Mandriva.

The steps:
1) Go to your ZoneMinder web interface, choose "Options" and then the "System" tab.
1.1) change the ZM_SHM_KEY to be "0x7a6d0000" if it is not already. In my case it was different and ultimately it needs to be the same as the "default" field in the mysql database which is usually the above value. This is definitely the work around for a bug likely in ZoneMinder.

2) Go to your ZoneMinder server and log in as root.

3) Obtain the 0.21-fixes source for mythplugins.
Code:
cd /usr/src
wget https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+source/mythplugins/0.21.0+fixes195560ubuntu6/+files/mythplugins_0.21.0+fixes19556.orig.tar.gz
tar -xvf mythplugins_0.21.0+fixes19556.orig.tar.gz
cd mythplugins-0.21.0+fixes19556/mythzoneminder/mythzmserver

4) Compile mythzmserver
Code:
make -f Makefile.standalone

5) Install mythzmserver
Code:
cp mythzmserver /usr/bin
/usr/bin/mythzmserver -d

From here you will need to ensure mythzmserver starts automatically with the "-d" option. This is probably best done in rc.local

6) Configure Mythtv front end to point to your ZoneMinder server
This should just require you to go to the ZoneMinder set up in your frontend set up menus and enter the correct IP address.

That should be it!

You may also like the Windows client "ZM4MS" available at: http://www.jpwilson.eu/gallery.html

C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:59 am 
A question relating to "the big picture":
Is the Zoneminder server on the same computer as Knoppmyth? Can you have Zoneminder, a frontend and a backend all on the same computer?
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:32 am 
yes but each creates a load on the machine. Depending on how you set up ZoneMinder it may be constantly processing video files streaming in from cameras. A modern set up should be able to handle this unless your front end is decoding H.264 or VC1 codecs.

To put it in perspective, my main server is a Core2Quad 6600 with 8GB RAM and 5TB RAID1 of disk running contribs.org version of CentOS. I then have VMWare2 on this for my apps.
I have the following guests within VMWare:
1) KMR5.5 as Master backend
2) ZoneMinder 1.23.3
3) Mitel's application suite to run Speech recognition for my phones.

This is in addition to apps I have running natively at the contribs.org level including a slave backend.

This runs fine for my needs. However all of my front ends are dedicated Core2 8500's to drive high quality HighDef pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:23 pm 
Ok, I think I see what you are doing. KM and ZM are on the same machine but they don't know it because they are each running in their own VM machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:05 pm 
You don't need VMs to do this. I just happen to do so which is actually more work for the processor. So with similar equipment you should have no problem. I like VMs because it keeps my life simpler.

The apps can co-exist on the same OS just fine. But in my case I just keep my Back end and ZM together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:48 am 
Thanks, Christ, I'll give it a try!