View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:14 pm 
Hey guys,

I recently started renting a condo from some relatives that has a KnoppMyth PC hooked up to the TV. When we moved, we cancelled our satellite service because we hardly used it, but I've started using Veetle and a couple other sites to watch bits and pieces of NFL games etc. I currently do this on my Mac, which has OS 10.6 installed as well as Win7 64bit.

I was trying to find a way to stream these using the Myth PC, and google pulled up a couple hits, but I don't really understand much in terms of how to use this system.

I've figured out how to connect via Samba, so I can copy video files onto the PC from my mac and watch em, and there's no capture card or anything on the PC so I don't need to worry about using one of those.

I also don't really know how to access any of the settings on the system... Other than those through the MythTV settings menu, and through the web interface at http://knoppmyth/ on the local network.

Having used an os x mac for a long time, I'm familiar with a lot of *nix commandline stuff, so I can wade my way through that, but I don't even know how to access a command line on here.

Anyways, is there any way to do this? I know its a vague question, but I'm hoping someone can help me...

**edit** Alright so I figured out how to get into MythBrowser, and also how to pull up a terminal window... When I try to use veetle.com, it tells me I need to install the plugin (like I did in Win7 on my mac) and when I click download it offers up a linux version... Any chance it'd be so easy as to just install that and it'll work? It's not my PC so I don't wanna mess anything up!! God knows, I'll never be able to fix it haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:40 pm 
I haven't tried this, but it looks easy enough and you might be able to get it to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:49 pm 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
I haven't tried this, but it looks easy enough and you might be able to get it to work.

Do you think I'd have to install Firefox for this? And if so, how difficult is that? I've never installed from a .sh file I don't think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:15 pm 
Not knowing anything about Veetle, I can't really say if it will run in mythbrowser. I'm thinking their might be a flash aspect in the viewer, but I could be way off.

With that said, a firefox install is usually easy enough to install. The one problem you might run into, is you might be running an old version of KM. It might be advisable to upgrade.

Do some searching on this forum, there is a TON of great info from linux gurus that frequent these parts. 90% of the questions I've run into, have been asked/answered somewhere on these boards, they are a most valuable resource.

Also, I've been remiss in offering you a cordial welcome! So, Welcome aboard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:27 pm 
I found a very straightforward step-by-step guide to installing firefox... And have realized, I know the password for the mythtv account, but not for root... I'm not going to be able to do much without that, am I?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:27 pm 
You will need a root password. Maybe it's the same?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:29 pm 
I've tried that, along with blank, "a", and a few other default suggestions I've been able to find... But no luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:38 pm 
maybe try a sudo before the command? Maybe that user is in the sudors list? idk if even that will work though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:34 am 
I'm not sure... The only acct I know the password to is the "mythtv" account I've been using with Samba. What account does it auto-login as? The same one?

Also, oddly, it works for samba but not ssh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:40 pm 
you can try to login with the mythtv account and run the sudo + command. again, I'm not sure if this will work, might ask for password or just run.