View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:23 pm 
Well I've been an IceTV customer for a while, whilst I personally think guide data should be free! But back when I started, guide data in Australia meant I spent more time fixing the data then watching tv ;)

So how do you guys find Shepherd? I was playing around on my test box the other day and noted that during the install it asked if I wanted to copy data from non-hd -> hd. With all this "FreeView" crap (in reality TV as is with a new name and a couple of extra channels) and I'm already seeing it in my IceTV data, that the HD channels sometimes differ from the SD channels and I'm noticing it is becoming more different as time goes on.

I'll probably build an R6 VM when I get a bit of spare time and test for myself, but am interested in hearing from other Shepherd users.

Intel Desktop Board
2GB DDR400
nVidia 6600GT
Dvico HDTV+
Dvico Dual 4
200GB WD for Swap /boot & /
2x 500GB WD with LVM & XFS for /myth/tv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:50 am 
I have been using shepherd (which is really a conglomerate of the other grabbers) since it first came out, and I have found it gives very good data. Most shows have accurate subtitles and good descriptions which is quite handy for matching duplicates.

It seems to do a very good job at grabbing the HD data. This seems to be most prevalent with Ten where they quite often have different shows on SD and HD. I am in Brisbane and for some reason the HD guide data has "This can be populated with programs by changing your Shepherd settings." for the times where it matches the SD channel. I expect this has something to do with the copy data from non-hd -> hd (which I do not recall seeing when I run with --configure). There is info in the shepherd FAQ that says how to fix the Upscaled SD message, but it doesn't seem to work for me - I must be doing something wrong I guess.
[Edit]I just re-installed shepherd from scratch (rather than copying the .shepherd folder from my old installation) and it is now populating the upscaled SD program details for the HD channels.[/Edit]

The fact that it updates all the underlying applications is very useful (probably a whopping security hole). This was its original purpose as it meant you didn't have to wait for your grabber to break and then go and get a new one every time the data-nazis changed their encryption (as in the early REX grabber days with NineMSN). Also good is the implementation of the underlying applications and postprocessors which allows you turn items on/off depending on whether you find them useful. For example, I have turned of the IMDB augmentation as it takes quite a while (it basically checks any shows longer than 60min) and I didn't really make any use of the additional data.

Cheers.

Last edited by Truck on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:40 am 
I too coming from Brisbane have had similar experience to Truck. Whilst I have only been using Shepherd since early last year (I converted from OzTIVO) I am extremely pleased with the quality of the guide data.

As to the non-HD -> HD thing I don't believe that it is really relevant anymore with the stations actually programming proper programs on these channels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:39 am 
Cool, i'll get it configured up in my vm when I build it. I'll just restore a backup on there and test it for a while.

good Guide data = hight WAF

Intel Desktop Board
2GB DDR400
nVidia 6600GT
Dvico HDTV+
Dvico Dual 4
200GB WD for Swap /boot & /
2x 500GB WD with LVM & XFS for /myth/tv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:15 am 
Just gotta say that shepherd is really top notch...

When channel ten changed to onehd onesd and tendigital, all i had to do was run
Code:
shepherd --configure
force a mythfilldatabase, and i had EPG up the wazoo for all channels.. all correct timezones, all superb... no effort...

In the past i woud have been fiddling with scripts and offsets, and never got it quite right... congrats to the developers, they are generating quality opensource product!

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:20 am 
so your one HD is filling up?

I run config and one hd is blank. i cleared the shepherd settings and tried again and still one HD is blank. Not using one digital as i can view HD so not bothering with it so I am not sure if that is is working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:24 am 
Running configure will remap to scanned channels to shepherd channels, then i think it does a scrape and creates the output.xmltv file.

I had a look in that file and all the TEN channels were represented.

Then i needed to run mythfilldatabase, which seems to run
1) tv_grab_au (which is really shepherd), so does nothing due to the --daily flag
2) insert into the EPG database

I'm thinking you may have the output.xmltv file, just havent run mythfilldatabase to insert the output.xmltv contents into the db?

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:44 am 
i have mythfilldatabase running once a day. I made the changes on the weekend and still no data in one hd. I played with it again last night and did a reconfigure again and forced mythfilldatabase with the same issue.

i noticed in the logs its saying that the "news" grabber is not finding enough data for one hd and some others are finding 0 days of data.

i think the reconciler at the end is making a mess of the data it has from oztivo for one hd and then just dumping that channel.

i might totally remove shepherd and all its files and try it again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:49 am 
My shepherd is a fresh install from the other week.. I installed R6 after my R5.5 blew itself up..

It does sound like something is screwed up in your shepherd. I know they are having some problems with the yahoo7 widget grabber, so at the moment that is giving 401 errors... nothing to worry about as far as i can gather from the shepherd forum. Your errors sound much more significant.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:45 am 
Fixed my issue, but in a strange way. I was only setting up my guide for one HD since I won't be using one Digital. So I thought, I will try again this time choosing one Digital and one HD and now I have guide data for one HD. From my understanding one Digital and one HD will not always be the same programming as in the case of AFL where the one Digital (SD) will be just showing a one logo so the Ten Digital and one HD can have the higher bandwidth. This is why I did not bother to have one digital setup in my guide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:07 am 
I found that when I setup my Shepherd with R6 that even though I had picked the correct channels and guide data, when I checked the settings in MythWEB, oneHD did not have the correct channel mapping. When I put the correct channel "connection" eg. onehd.shepherd and ran mythfilldatabase again it worked fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:48 am 
I did a clean install yesterday with 5.5 to resolve an ongoing issue with no upcoming recordings.

Everything worked out of the box except shepherd also not picking the one HD EPG info.
Reran the setup and then the mythfilldatabase and its all good now!

suspect i got the one HD and one channels mixed up