View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:35 am 
My recollection with Ubuntu is that it doesn't allow root logins and requires the use of "sudo" to execute commands as root. I think there is some way to reconfigure it to deal with this, but I don't recall off the top of my head.

While I was trying to get mine working I came across some Ubuntu-specific threads on upgrading LIRC. Here are some links you may find useful:

Some notes and link to wiki "howto" - http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=5

Wiki howto -- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LircHowto

Another thread on the topic -- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1161574

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:59 am 
Renbad wrote:
I've followed your howto but on a minimal ubuntu installation - no X.

The other thing that I was wondering about was why are you starting with a Basic Ubuntu install? That seems to be the hard way unless you are really looking for a combined desktop or server with mythtv.

If you just want mythtv then the easier path may be the appliance distros such as Knoppmyth. There are other appliance distros as well if they suit your tastes. You would still have this lirc issue regardless but most other aspects will likely be simpler.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:00 am 
Christ, your description appears to be the most informative re the imon device. However, I've run into a few problems, and I'm hoping you can spot the solution. First. I am running fedora 11 plus the various changes described in http://mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora.

Second,
christ wrote:
... Antec Veris Basic which fits into a spare 3.5" bay of, in my case, a Sonata 3.
They are easiest to recognize by executing "lsusb" and looking for:
Code:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 15c2:0043 SoundGraph Inc.
where the "15c2:0043" identifies this device. You will also see after updating lirc that both /dev/lirc0 & /dev/lirc1 exist.

I have the IMON mini ($19), which shows up as "15c2:0042". I can use modprobe to load lirc_imon and lirc_dev, however, /dev/lirc0 & /dev/lirc1 don't show up. Actually, I think the device you describe is a transceiver, but the mini is just a receiver, so I would expect just /dev/lirc0. /dev/lircd shows up after I run lircd, but irw does not produce any output.

For the build, I got http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lirc/lirc-0.8.5.tar.bz2 and tried to do as you suggested, but the options shown by setup.sh (found in setup.data) are:
Code:
Soundgraph iMON 2.4G DT & LT
Soundgraph iMON MultiMedian IR/VFD
Soundgraph iMON IR/LCD
Soundgraph iMON Knob
Soundgraph iMON PAD IR/VFD
Soundgraph iMON RSC

The mini is not mentioned there, but I did find in drivers/lirc_imon/lirc_imon.c my usb address described as:
Code:
        /* Antec Veris Multimedia Station Basic Internal (IR only) */
        { USB_DEVICE(0x15c2, 0x0042) },

So it seems as if the device should be recognized by the driver, but I would expect the device to show up in /dev. After loading the modules, I do see
Code:
lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
Driver for Soundgraph iMON MultiMedia IR/Display, v0.5
Venky Raju <dev@venky.ws>
usbcore: registered new interface driver lirc_imon
... in /var/log/messages, but nothing else.

I'm sure I'm doing something silly, so please advise.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:11 pm 
marc.aronson wrote:
christ wrote:
Thanks for confirming Marc. I'll update this right away. Did you also have to run configure.sh before the make? Or did the make pick this up?

Yes, I did run "./configure.sh" before running make. This is necessary as "./configure.sh" creates the Makefile that is read by make.

christ wrote:
BTW, I seem to recall some RM100 codes when I did a google search.

I also found some, but they didn't work for me.

christ wrote:
Once you are comfortable with the RM100 codes then we can add these as RM100 specific codes and attached them to my feature request ticket in flyspray.

The RM100 codes work and are good to go.

Hi !

I'm stuck with the imon 0042... I want to use a remote One For All with it, but I can't find code for RM100. I post here because you say you find some codes easily... and I'm looking for some since 4hours ....

Any idea where I could find a solution to my problem ?

I tried to learn the keys from the imon remote, it seems to works but I have much more keys on my One For All pad than in the small imon pad...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:18 pm 
Eorndil,
It was easy to find for the Harmony (Logitec) remotes. I'm not familiar with the One-For-All brands although I have seen some at the local "The Source" stores.

The Harmony remotes connect to a web based database with all of the codes. So as long as you know what you want, you can usually find it.

Perhaps if you post a specific question in the hardware forum related to your remote, you may have better luck. You could also post to the mythtv-users mail relay which has a wide membership.

C

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:40 pm 
Sorry for the delay. Just traveling and enjoying summer. It is too short this year! I can't believe it just went up to 30 degrees this week. Finally!
toddbatnvr wrote:
First. I am running fedora 11 plus the various changes described in http://mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora.
I am also a CentOS user and Fedora should be somewhat similar but I have only tested this with Knoppmyth.
toddbatnvr wrote:
I have the IMON mini ($19), which shows up as "15c2:0042". I can use modprobe to load lirc_imon and lirc_dev, however, /dev/lirc0 & /dev/lirc1 don't show up. Actually, I think the device you describe is a transceiver, but the mini is just a receiver, so I would expect just /dev/lirc0. /dev/lircd shows up after I run lircd, but irw does not produce any output.

No, the 0043 is a receiver but the way driver is set up it sees two different inputs for this one device so it puts them on lirc0 and lirc1. You then have to combine the input streams (which I do in the init.d script). Jarod has updated the driver recently which in theory combines them to one now. I have not yet tested this but will do so in September timeframe.

toddbatnvr wrote:
For the build, I got http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lirc/lirc-0.8.5.tar.bz2 and tried to do as you suggested, but the options shown by setup.sh (found in setup.data) are:
Code:
Soundgraph iMON 2.4G DT & LT
Soundgraph iMON MultiMedian IR/VFD
Soundgraph iMON IR/LCD
Soundgraph iMON Knob
Soundgraph iMON PAD IR/VFD
Soundgraph iMON RSC

The mini is not mentioned there, but I did find in drivers/lirc_imon/lirc_imon.c my usb address described as:
Code:
        /* Antec Veris Multimedia Station Basic Internal (IR only) */
        { USB_DEVICE(0x15c2, 0x0042) },

I believe choosing iMon IR/LCD will load lirc_imon for 0x0042 but you should double check the code. I don't have it handy. Knob and PAD may also work.

toddbatnvr wrote:
So it seems as if the device should be recognized by the driver, but I would expect the device to show up in /dev. After loading the modules, I do see
Code:
lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
Driver for Soundgraph iMON MultiMedia IR/Display, v0.5
Venky Raju <dev@venky.ws>
usbcore: registered new interface driver lirc_imon
... in /var/log/messages, but nothing else.

I'm sure I'm doing something silly, so please advise.

Todd

It seems the driver is loading but it is possible that usbhid is hijacking the device. This is a common problem in some distros.

I describe this a bit a few posts up: http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... c&start=29

I would start there. You may have to muck around with the udev or hotplug rules (which ever F11 uses).

I think you are close. Once you get the driver to attach to the device and then create lirc0 and lirc1 you should be ok.

Have you also tried with the mythdora folks?

btw, you may have to go down to using mode2 instead of irw as the iMon IR receivers could be either MCE or iMon codes. Mode2 looks at the raw IR codes coming in before being mapped through lirc?.conf. irw gives you the output post mapping to lirc?.conf.

C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:37 pm 
It has taken a bit of time but the kind people at Logitech Harmony support have created a device definition that works extremely well with the Antec Veris Basic. My thanks to Nelson at Harmony support for his persistance and support in making this happen!

This device definition provides numerous keys, is very responsive, never misses a "key click" and repeats properly when a button is held down. They have not made this device profile public yet, but you can get access to it by taking the following steps:

1. Add a "media center PC" device, use manufacturer "Antec" and device "veris".

2. If you have problems with the direction keys not repeating properly (you probably will), submit a support case and state the following in the case: "The direction keys are not working properly. You have been told that a new set of codes should be available for the device -- can these new codes be added to my device named <whatever name you assigned to the device>?"

The key difference between the original codes and the new codes is that the new codes send a "release" signal when the button is released. This makes a massive difference as LIRC now has a reliable way of understanding discrete clicks vs. repeats from a button being held down.

For buttons where I don't want repeats to occur when the button is held down I simply use "repeat = 0" in my lircrc file. When I do want buttons to repeat when held down I use the following settings in my /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc file:
Code:
delay = 4
repeat = 1

Update on 9/4/09 -- I forgot to mention in my original post that in the device settings I also set all delays (speed settings) to 0.

I hope this helps others.

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:45 am 
I've almost got my Logitech 659 working with the 15c2:0038 imon but I can't get the number pad and directional pad to send anything. I've tried mode2 and cat-ing /dev/lirc1. It's like the remote isn't sending anything when these buttons are pressed. I'm using the Antec -> Veris profile on my remote. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:27 am 
I don't know what you have tried so I don't know where to start helping you. The general how-to instructions work on R5.5 and marc's suggestion for the 659 work for him. Assuming you did the how-to correctly then did you contact Logitec as Marc suggests?

C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:54 am 
Banty Rooster wrote:
I've almost got my Logitech 659 working with the 15c2:0038 imon but I can't get the number pad and directional pad to send anything. I've tried mode2 and cat-ing /dev/lirc1. It's like the remote isn't sending anything when these buttons are pressed. I'm using the Antec -> Veris profile on my remote. Any suggestions?

My remote is a 676. You state that it doesn't send anything when you certain keys -- let me ask some specific questions:

1. Are those keys mapped to something in the logitech app?

2. Does the LED on your remote light up when you hit that button?

3. If the LED on your remote does light up, try running "irw" in a putty / ssh windows and see if irw reports anything when you hit those buttons.

Marc

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3