View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:37 pm 
I was having some problems related to poor video playback performance that I eventually was able to solve by dropping the screen resolution in my xorg.conf down to 800x600 from 1024x768. This makes for nice video playback and doesn't have any visual drawbacks, since I'm viewing on a SDTV via S-Video.

However...I have discovered that when I switch to 800x600, the menus become *ridiculously* slow. As in a single operation might take upwards of 15-20s to complete, with xorg taking 100% CPU in the interim, locking up everything else on the machine. This makes navigating the menus basically impossible, or at least very frustrating.

The menu slowness goes away when I switch back to 1024x768, but that brings back the choppy video.

Can anyone suggest any solutions to the slow menu issue? The only change I'm making is removing the "1024x768" parts from the "Screen" section of my xorg.conf file.

The machine has an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 (NV34) and is using the NVidia proprietary driver (nvidia) not the nv one. I think the version is 173.14.09; I did not change it from whatever came with R5.5. I am using the "Qt" paint engine, not OpenGL, and the GANT theme, although I've tried a few other themes and it's no different. (Changing to OpenGL makes things worse, which is an expected result since I don't think my card supports it.)

The machine itself is a P4 2.4GHz Prescott machine with a PVR-150 installed; it serves as a slave backend and frontend. With previous versions of Knoppmyth it has worked perfectly so I know the hardware is capable both on the video and menu-display side.

Right now I am having to SSH into the machine, switch xorg configurations, and restart X, depending on whether I want to watch video or do something in the menu system. Obviously this isn't a workable solution long-term.