View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:06 am 
I have built a Gray-Hoverman antenna. I hope I can learn how to connect the antenna to my computer, and use Knoppmyth to display "white spaces" network apps. Has anyone done that? Can you describe how to do that? Any help appreciated.
Tom Poe, Charles City, Iowa, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:25 pm 
so, what are you looking to do?

If you want to use the antenna to capture OTA TV, then any OTA Capture card will connect to it, (provided the correct impedance matching transformer)

For white space apps, that would require a specialized interface for the specific app. You could not use an OTA TV capture card to record NFL Ref microphones, for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:19 pm 
Open-mesh.com offers wireless access points/nodes for USD$50 each. It allows wireless mesh networks to be established, with each unit using an antenna that reaches about 100 feet. The Gray-Hoverman antenna reaches about 100 miles. Since there are now unlicensed frequencies in the tv spectrum, it seems logical to me that a wireless mesh network could be established using computers that are miles apart. I am guessing the digital signals that travel across the tv spectrum would be available to mythtv, regardless of whether it's a traditional analog tv signal, or a digital signal. Does that make any sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:57 am 
The Gray-Hoverman can pull in signals from that far away, I'm not certain how well it transmits. You couldn't just graft that antenna on a router and expect better range; you would need an amplifier to feed the transmitter.

The big hurdle is that the rules for whitespace are generally about limited range devices. I'm not sure a regional mesh net was in their intent...