View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:24 am 
I'm having trouble getting VDPAU working on the second Preview Release of R6. I bought a EV3A GEForce 8400GS pci graphic card with 512 mb DDR2 memory. The nvidia-180.51-1 drivers are installed. I believe they include VDPAU support so I did not install the nvidia beta drivers.

I can't find mplayer-vdpau-nogui and I believe that is because mplayer-29134-11 has VDPAU support built in.

I installed mythtv-vdpau but still no joy. Multiple messages when I try to test VDPAU say "Xlib: extension "Generic Exent Extension" missing on display "0:0". Searching the web, I could not pinpoint this error. These errors seemed to bork vdpau-detector output to mplayer-resumer-vdpau.pl so I launched the mplayer commands manually. Still no joy.

I saw on the nvidia forum that the development version of mythtv had vdpau support so in a last ditch effort I did a fresh install and installed mythtv-svn and mythtv-extras-svn. The screen stops and appears locked on "Please wait". If I hit the enter key I hear a live tv show start up but can't see it. I can open a xterm window with <alt-X>. I can see a little bit and that it could not find mainmenu.xml and that it was overriding the broken theme with blue. And then there was the error again, "Xlib: extension "Generic Exent Extension" missing on display "0:0".

I really don't know what to do next from here. I'm not exen sure if my assumptions about VDPAU capability for mplayer, nvidia drivers and mythtv-vdpau are correct.

Please nudge me in the right direction. I need my mythtv!. BTW, nice job with ARCH

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:07 pm 
richardc wrote:
The nvidia-180.51-1 drivers are installed. I believe they include VDPAU support so I did not install the nvidia beta drivers.

Yes. Anything 180+ should have VDPAU.

richardc wrote:
I can't find mplayer-vdpau-nogui and I believe that is because mplayer-29134-11 has VDPAU support built in.

Yes.

richardc wrote:
I installed mythtv-vdpau but still no joy...
Please nudge me in the right direction.

Did you read this?
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU Especially section 2.4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:44 pm 
Thanks Mihanson for confirming my assumptions. I had read section 2.4 about display profiles but have not given it a lot of thought since I don't yet have a digital capture card. I have an old pvr350 that I am still using for analog capture and for lirc. It looks like "display profiles" and the sections following it are the areas where I can adjust the settings for tv capture and playback. I read somewhere that vdpau would work for video but not for live tv and tv playback but it looks like this is the place where you can make that work. Can you confirm that?

I'm strictly OTA. I recently upgraded to a digital tv and I wanted to see if I could still use my old Myth hardware (with a new digital capture card). I went ahead and upgraded to r6 mainly for its ease of upgrade but also just to get ahead of the learning curve. Anyway, if I can't run VDPAU on live tv or tv playback then I don't think I can use my old hardware.

Regarding VDPAU: I think it is working but is there a specific log(s) I can look at to verify? I downloaded the test video files from this location:

http://ftp.icm.edu.pl/packages/linux-nv ... README.txt

The nature.h264 test file was jerky with my normal mplayer settings. Ran fairly smooth but I think too fast with the ffh264vdpau option. Ran better with the ffh264 option and ran the best when I sudo mplayer with the ffh264 option.

I edited the vdpau-detector script to run without mplayer-resumer-vdpau as Nicca had it in the original script.

I appreciate any help you or anyone can give me regarding VDPAU and keeping R6/Knoppmyth running on my old hardware when I transition from analog to digital.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:16 pm 
richardc wrote:
I read somewhere that vdpau would work for video but not for live tv and tv playback but it looks like this is the place where you can make that work. Can you confirm that?

This is where you set your VDPAU settings for mythtv's internal player. So, anything that uses the internal player (i.e. live tv) will honor these settings. So, yes, I'm confirming.

For using mplayer, you'll need a couple things in your .mplayer/config file.

Code:
vo=vdpau,
vc=ffmpeg12vdpau,ffh264vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,
or those can be specified on the commandline on a per file basis. I believe the vdpau-detector script you mentioned does this for you. I'm not familiar with it so I cannot say for sure.

As far as logs go, try looking at /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log for lines like this:
Code:
2009-05-27 14:01:12.256 AFD: Opened codec 0xab8d4e0, id(MPEGVIDEO_VDPAU) type(Video)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:00 pm 
Thanks!

Quote:
As far as logs go, try looking at /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log for lines

I guess I turn that on in mythwelcome with "/usr/bin/mythfrontend -l /var/log/mythtv//mythfrontend.log"?