View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:49 am 
I am still a novice on the use of the cli, so if possible I would prefer to use a file manager until my skills improve. Is there a file manager for R6 installed or available?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:18 am 
Several come to mind, but I don't believe that these are available in the LinHES repos at this point in time. All have their own set of dependencies which makes you building via your own PKGBUILD kinda tough:

thunar
pcmanfm (PCMan File Manager)
rox

You can google these to see some screenshots. Note that you'll have to make a request on flyspray to have one of these added to the LinHES repos as using the official Arch repos AND the LinHES repos is dangerous.

As an aside, what are you using as your main desktop PC? If the answer is WIndows or Linux, why not just manage files through samba on your primary desktop machine?

Post subject: File fun
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:23 am 
graysky wrote:
Several come to mind, but I don't believe that these are available in the LinHES repos at this point in time. All have their own set of dependencies which makes you building via your own PKGBUILD kinda tough:

thunar
pcmanfm (PCMan File Manager)
rox

You can google these to see some screenshots. Note that you'll have to make a request on flyspray to have one of these added to the LinHES repos as using the official Arch repos AND the LinHES repos is dangerous.

As an aside, what are you using as your main desktop PC? If the answer is WIndows or Linux, why not just manage files through samba on your primary desktop machine?

Well now I know why I couldn't find the file manager. :roll:

I am trying to set up my htpc with Linhes. At present I have my old htpc which is soon destined to become the backend. Until then I can have either my Linhes pc connected or my old pc, but not both.

However I will look into Samba, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:32 am 
midnightcommander is another that can be used through an ssh session since it has a CLI as well as a graphical one too.

...so you don't have a non-htpc machine at your house? Laptop or..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:41 pm 
In my opinion everyone missed the number one file manager.
Use the file manager in Webmin

On every install the first thing that I get going without question is Webmin

I think one of the reasons there was never a file manager installed as default in any of the Knoppmyth / LinHES is the impracticality of try to do anything to your machine sitting where your machines are normally located. There is nothing conducive to a good working environment sitting in front of your LlnHES box while the wife and kids scowl at you for interrupting any program that they are watching.

95% of everything I do to my box is done sitting at my desktop using Webmin, VNC and very rarely Putty. This all happens while some else in the house is watching TV and they never know it.

Also you can cut and past right out of the KM forms into the Webmin command shell.

The creators thought it was important for you to have a remote file manager so they included a button in LinHES setup menus to install Webmin for you.

I elaborated here more than I needed to because I once tried to go down the same path and could not figure out why no one else cared about the lack of a file manager.

TVBox