View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:51 pm 
A recent installation of a new video card with a massive heat sink has caused me to have to sacrifice a PCI slot which held one of my OTA-HD tuners.

So I want to put that tuner in another system and upgrade everything to R6. I have read Cecil's LinHES guide and read the wiki docs on setting up slave backends, but they are both quite old with regards to versions of Myth and KM/Linhes. I also searched the forums and I was unable to find recent info.

So my question is this: What are the rough steps that one must take to set up a Master/Slave config with tuners in both? Do I still need to cross NFS mount everything? Do they use the newish features of storage groups?

I dont need a step by step, type this then that guide. But a general highlevel task list would be great! And I promise, once I get it up and running I will update the wiki with more detailed HOWTOs for the next guy.

Thanks folks,
Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:19 pm 
Hi Abrendel,

I have set up something similar to what you are wanting for a very similar reason. If you are familiar with setting up multiple frontends then it should be pretty straight forward. The basic steps are:

1. Setup you master backend as per normal.
2. Set the IP addresses in mythtv-setup as if you had remote frontends. (IP of the machine and not "localhost"), (Allow netword connections to your sql server)
3. Export your storage groups using NFS
4. Set up a second backend.
4.1. Setup the nfs shares.
4.2. Set the IP address of the master backend
4.3. Set the IP address of the mysql server
4.4. Add the capture cards as normal
4.5. Associate capture cards to the "input" that is configured on the master backend. (assuming all your cards are the same).
4.6. Set up your storage groups to point to the mounted nfs shares.

Hope this helps. You need to share the storage groups somehow, but mythtv is smart enough to work out that they are the same location when it comes time to working out free space.

Once all this is working, then look at shutting down the slave backend when it is not in use. Getting the slave backend to share the load of commercial flagging etc.

BigB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:18 pm 
Thanks BigB! I was beginning to think no one else was doing this.

Since "Slave Backend" is a setup option now with R6, I thought that perhaps most of that sharing and NFS mounting stuff might not be needed anymore. However I quickly found out after installing a "Slave Backend" install of R6 that it didn't just work out of the box. Which is fine, its still in beta stages. I will be working on my config this weekend. Hopefully I can get this all ironed out with R6 and write up a detailed howto.

Thanks again for the pointers.

A@ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:47 pm 
Site Admin
When it's finished the nfs and ip config will be taken care of for you. It was even working at some point, but it appears it's broken right now.