View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:27 pm 
with the latest pre-release of R6, i thought i'd give it a go. using a second cloned disk, i did an upgrade and everything was working relatively smoothly until i tried firefox.

i dont know if this is worthy of being called a bug, or if it is hardware/os related.

i have no trouble running firefox with R5.5

the problem really doesnt seem to be with firefox, however.

while using firefox, i noticed that the cursor kept on disappearing reliably at predictable locations on the screen.

upon further investigation, i turned on the option to always show the cursor and noted that the cursor also reliably disappeared over certain hotspot areas on the mythtv screen that aligned with the on screen menu options. for example, the cursor would disappear over the graphic that showed the general functionality of the particular screen as well as rectangular areas corresponding with the menu options. these 'dead zones' aligned with where the cursor disappeared in firefox. as there are a fair number of these areas, this makes using firefox somewhat difficult.

once again, i dont have this problem with r5.5, so i'm guessing it might be an interaction between the o/s, X, and video drivers

as i am using a stock dragon 2 box, my hardware isnt that esoteric. has anyone seen anything similar, and is this worthy of bringing to the attention of the development team?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:52 am 
I can't explain the zone bit, but I believe it is related to a program called unclutter. I requested its inclusion a while back as I think by having the mouse disappear it adds to the Media box "feel" of MythTV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:15 am 
Alt+h will show a list of hotkeys. One of them will toggle the visibility of the mouse pointer.

Britney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:47 pm 
girkers,

thanks for the tip. i removed unclutter and the cursor no longer disappears over the mythtv screens menu options (and also in firefox).

based on the readme for unclutter, i was a bit dubious at first, but how empty is theory in the presence of fact. i also cant explain why the cursor was blanking out over the menu options in the mythtv screens based on the description of the unclutter program