View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:40 pm 
My LinHES has been sitting in the closet since my move, but the cable company DVR just doesn't cut it after using Knoppmyth for years at my previous home.

I want to get it back up and running, but am unsure as to how to reconfigure for the new cable company (Comcast) and still keep the old recordings (Charter).

A couple of major questions come to mind-

1) The old system was running F27, should I go ahead and upgrade to R6?

2) Do I need to keep both channel lineups (the old location (zip code & cable company) as well as add the new channel lineups?

3) Old system had 1 MBE and 2 FE's. The MBE ran 24/7 with the FE's only on when watching recorded shows. I am thinking I can reduce to 1 MBE/FE and 1 SBE/FE, with both machines only powering on as needed for recording and/or viewing. Is this feasible, and if so, how difficult will it be to get them to power up in time for scheduled recordings? When using a SBE, does the MBE also have to power up when a recording is scheduled?

4) Currently everything is set up to only record analog SD recordings, but I am thinking of adding at least one digital QAM tuner as well. How will this affect performance if I install a QAM cable tuner into the MBE, particularly during times when it is recording and playing back previous recordings at the same time? The current configuration of the MBE can handle 4 tuners (PVR-150's) recording simultaneously with no problem. If I add playback and a QAM tuner, how much will that tax the hardware? I have no problem with reducing the tuners in the MBE and/or moving them into the SBE instead.

Lots more questions as well, but the main concern is saving the old shows, and incorporating them into the new setup/location.

Did a search, but can't seem to find anything that seems to address this, although a search for 'moving' brings up tons of hits, they all seem to reference moving to a larger hard drive.

Offhand my thoughts are that I should keep the existing setup pretty much as is, and do whatever I need to do to convert to the new location/cable provider. I am assuming this is as simple as adding the new channel lineups, and re-assigning them to the tuners instead of using the old lineups. And I would no doubt have to delete all previous scheduled recordings and set up new ones. Will I have to always keep the old lineups from the old cable company in order to access the old recordings, or will the database continue to handle them if I no longer update the old cable lineup?

After that is solved, I could/would consider making the changes to upgrade to R6, and add the SBE/FE instead of using 1 MBE and 2 FE's.

Lastly would come setting them up so they could power down when idle, and power up as needed for recording or viewing.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I want my LinHES back up and running!

DaveJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:43 pm 
Hi,

Your old recordings should be intact despite your move to a new area. The metadata associated with the physical data in your /myth/tv is independent to your channel listings. Your shows and their details will remain, unaffected by deleting your channels in myth-setup.

I would just go into myth-setup and delete your old input connections and channels an recreate it all but to be using the content provided by your cable company.

I use Mythwelcome for switching my media centre on for recordings - it is great. Easy to set up too on R6.

So, in my opinion answers to your questions are:

1. Yes (with a good backup)
2. No (as above)
3. Don't know, but MythWelcome works great for powering up /off a combined FE/BE, but not sure about a SBE.
4. Don't know. Though I don't think recording HD content is so taxing, but the playback does hit an underpowered system hard. Unless you use VDPAU.

Good luck. And perhaps get a second opinion first :roll: