View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:11 pm 
Well I installed R6 and it was a rather bumpy ride, but still I am up and running mostly (still need to get lcdproc to work with my imon vfd) but right now I have a problem with grub.

I added to my menu.lst the vga=786 so I need to update the grub boot sector. So to do that I should just have to go to grub and run setup, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

In grub I do the following:
Code:
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
 (hd0,0)

So I just need to do one command but it doesn't work:
Code:
grub> setup (hd0)

Error 12: Invalid device requested

So I check my menu.lst and all the entries are listed as (hd0,0) so I am thinking it is correct.

When I check mount the root drive is listed as:
/dev/sda1 on / type auto (rw,noatime)

This is kind of strange because 2 of my drives mounted on / and /myth/tv2 are both parallel ATA drives not SATA ones that in previous versions of mythtv were /dev/hda and /dev/hdb devices.

So I am a bit confused how to update grub. So I am hoping someone knows a way to get this to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:35 am 
You don't need to update your boot sector when editing /boot/grub/menu.lst - just make the edit and save the file. Dunno about your grub errors. See the grub wiki page:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Grub

As to the /dev/sda rather than /dev/hda thing, that's normal. sda = special device a not sata. There was a change in the way the kernel addresses block devices a while ago that causes this. It's normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:37 am 
Unfortunately, I don't know that much about grub, so I can't solve all your problems, but I have a few things that might help.

Firstly, regarding s/hdx - you're probably running a newer kernel now that correctly identifies your UDMA controller, which is listed by the kernel as sdx (rather than hdx which is plain-old EIDE). Or at least, that's what happened for me.

As for the confusion about the numbering, I had a problem where the grub menu.lst file assumed Linux was on (hd0,0), when it was actually on (hd1,0). In my case, the system didn't even boot, but it seems like yours is, so I'm not sure if this is related. I filed a bug report about this yesterday. The information there might help you?

Also, you should find a file at /boot/grub/device.map (I think, this is from memory) which tells you which Linux device maps to which grub device. Also of use: in grub, you can type '(hd' then press tab to see some useful information about the drives grub has identified.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I thought this information might be at least a little useful to resolving your problem. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:58 pm 
Quote:
You don't need to update your boot sector when editing /boot/grub/menu.lst - just make the edit and save the file.

You are right it seems to have correctly worked. I could only confirm if it worked once I hooked up the new R6 box onto my TV with a VGA->Component converter. I am not sure why though. I remember a while back when I installed ubuntu on my main box I had to do the setup or it wouldn't boot properly so I assumed that was just how it worked (like lilo).

Still the error is kind of weird. It thinks that (hd0) is an invalid device when it clearly uses it to boot from.