View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:58 pm 
I have been using my myth frontend on my HDTV for almost a year. The trouble with HDTV is it really makes the sd recordings from my backend look bad. After reading all the good posts about vdpau and the coming of the HD-PVR, I have been contemplating upgrading my old nvidia 6200TC to a newer card. When I received an email from NewEgg that listed the GIGABYTE GV-N210OC-512I (GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card) with a $20 rebate, I decided to go for it.

I installed it in my myth frontend, did a fresh install and everything looked good...at least on my 15" analog monitor! I hooked it up to the TV (46' LCD) and that is when the trouble started. The picture was still SD on HDTV, but it was noticeably better. That was the good part. The bad part was that I had no sound. After much searching here and elsewhere, I came to the conclusion that old hookup of DVI-HDMI with analog sound was not working because the TV was expecting sound over HDMI. OK, not unexpected.

Armed with my web research, my next goal was to configure sound over HDMI. This effort was stymied when I realized that the current R6 kernel does not detect the HDMI audio on this card. That leads me to my workaround solution, enabling analog sound again.

I had already setup the desired modeline in xorg.conf. Looking at the xlog0 it was apparent that the nvidia driver was using EDID to calculate all the possible display solutions and was enabling the one that was closest to the requested modeline. I found a post somewhere that reported that adding Option "UseEDID" "FALSE" to the device section of xorg.conf would turn the analog audio back on (probably it tells the TV to use analog because no audio on HDMI). I tried this next and, as predicted, the sound was back. However, the video resolution was 480p and it looked worse than the 6200TC!

My next goal became to find a way to keep the audio and get the video back to my chosen resolution (720p). I was almost ready to give up when I found this post [http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1003099&highlight=modelines&page=2].

It turned out that adding Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE" to the monitor section of xorg.conf together with the above option gave me my 720p resolution and audio!

I am content to run this way until such time as the HDMI audio on the card is detected and can be configured after a future upgrade. I hope this will help some poor soul who, like me, runs into this conundrum and is searching for a workaround. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:44 pm 
I just dealt with a somewhat similar issue: I upgraded my TV, and was no longer able to use analog audio and hdmi video (stupid beautiful new TV!). This was all I had to do...

1. Connect the SPDIF out on my motherboard (I'm using on-board audio) to the SPDIF in on my video card (an nvidia with HDMI output).
2. Upgrade to LinHES 6.02 (yes, needed for the right version of ALSA)
3. Configure ALSA as my audio engine (which I think is the default, but I can't recall)
3a. Go into alsamixer and unmute the digital playback channels and jack up the volume (I'm not sure if this is actually necessary, but it is something I did while fiddling around which may have had some bearing on my success)
4. Set my ALSA device to alsa-spdif in the audio setup menu.

That's all.

Mind you, it took me something like four hours today to figure out step 4 there, but it works.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:20 pm 
This helped me workout Audio over HDMI for Acer Aspire R1600, custom /etc/asound.conf (the post from mark60050).

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20006&highlight=sound+hdmi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:00 am 
HDMI is used to connect one high-def device to another. As for the input signal; cable, antenna, dish, etc. HDMI is for connecting your mythbox, DVD player, blueray player, or sometimes the cable provider box.

When direct TV comes in you will get a few Direct TV boxes for each room (if you pay for it). Your existing coax will connect to the new boxes, then from the box to your TV. Either coax, or another type of connection; rca, component, or hdmi.

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2376

The other thing to think about is how to record your high def from Direct TV to your mythbox (if you have one).

Hope this helps