View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:00 am 
hi,
i am running R5E50 on a centos 5.5 system.

a few days ago i did an unobserved recording. when looking what was recorded (media library>watch recordings) i got the data of the recording but did not see the usual preview playing in the right bottom edge..
selecting the recording for viewing caused continual harddisk activity, but no movie coming up.
when i try to edit the recording, the same happens.
when i look in /myth/tv using the recording data, i see two files: the usual mpg file and the png file, but png is very small (132 b or so) compared to the png files of recordings without problems.
when i play the mpg file using vlc, it plays normally, but i want it edited and stored on a dvd disk.

after the first time this mis-recording showed up, i dit recordings from other broadcasters (i use the system to make tv-recordings coming in from satellite), those other broadcasts were recorded normally (with a preview screen, and can be played as all the others before).

it showed up that each recording from the channel giving rise to the mis-recording gives the same problem as described (did a true (to be used) recording from that channel and some testrecordings > all with the same problem)

my channel list gives 3 alternative channel numbers for the problem-channel, but when i choose one of the alternatives in the manual recording mask, i can select them, but in the upcoming recording mask they all return to only one.

my questions:
1. what is wrong?
2. how can i repair?
3. how can i make an edit and save-to-dvd of the recorded problem-files.

please don't tell me to upgrade, i know you all are wanting that.

thank you for help on this,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:50 am 
Could be a corrupted MPEG stream that some players are dealing with better than others, or a decoder problem. The lack of preview often means a decoder problem or bad recording. I'd try:

- Manually delete the .png file and see if it get regenerated correctly.

- What network was the recording from and what playback profile is it using? There are known issues with the way certain networks (notably CBS) encode their MPEG-2 stream and the XvMC decoder. Switching your settings to use a different playback decoder at least temporarily may help.

- Try rerunning mythcommflag on the recording with the --rebuild option. (You may need to clear the existing seek table and cut marks or force it, but it's been long enough that I don't remember.)

This may just be a corrupt recording that the built-in player can't cope with. At that point you'll either need to delete it and allow rerecord, or use some external programs to edit it.