View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:18 am 
a plea for suggestions, even ideas about how to diagnose this problem would be good.
basically I had been running on r4v5 and pretty much everything worked perfectly.
but I like to play with the latest so I've updated to R5a10 and now I have a few little problems and this is one of the more serious
during liveTv or whilst watching a recording, if I hit pause, it will. but then hitting play does not resume the video. basically it 'says' play but nothing else happens. and the status bar with the progress remains on the screen.

I've tried other stuff, like skiping forwards/backwards in a recording and that seems to be fine. and it certainly has not other apparent issues with recording.

I've hunted around the forums and found no similar sounding problems (but then maybe I'm not searching right)
Although I've been using mythtV for a while, and I do know a thing or two about linux. I've not actually done anything with serious diagnosis, so even a pointer to where I can find out how to best get more information about what's going on at this point would be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:39 am 
First steps are to check logs and stuff. /var/log/mythtv/*.
Also, start your frontend from an xterm so you can see any messages generated during operation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:00 pm 
ok, so I took a look in my logs, nothing obvious in there, (other than info on another failure which was next on my list, todo with my external channel changer, turned out mythtv didn't have authority on /dev/tty0 so got that fixed ;-)

so I ran mythtv from a console, went straight to live tv, hit pause, then play, gave it a few seconds of just sitting there hung, hit escape a couple of times gets me back to menu.
the output was some start up type stuff, registering as a media handler and ocnnecting to the backend.
a curious message that says
' Using XV port 139
Realtime priority would require SUID as root'

not sure what that means or if it had any relevance

then the message saying switching from None to Watching LiveTV
then video timing method :VSleep with busy wait
WriteAudio: buffer underrun
the LOTS of messages saying
prebuffering pause
at first I thought that must just be normal message whilst in pause state, but it seems rather odd to print the same message every few miliseconds... so I'm guessing this is part of my problem
in the midst of the stack of those message is one that says
Timed out waiting for free video buffers
this could be random, but potentially co-incides with me attempting to resume from pause.

so now what?
I shall go on another industrious search with this new information, but any further pointers greatly appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:19 pm 
ok, so a classic case of a little bit of knowledge goes a long way,
having run with myth in a terminal, and searched based on the terms there in, I found the other posts regarding XvMC and it's associated issues. so I went and switched it off.
and presto no more problem... and I'm a happy man.
don't even know what XvMC was supposed to do for me, so win-win ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:16 pm 
xvmc reduces the cpu load required to playback mpeg2 video by using the hardware mpeg2 decoding capabilities of your graphics card, but as you have found, there are some problems with it. If you have enough cpu in your machine to playback withoyut it, you are better off without it.