View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: MythWIFI plugin HOWTO
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:16 pm 
I just got this cool little add-on working with A15.1 and I thought I'd share my experience. MythWIFI is a plugin that has two parts- one that sits on the frontend and sends qt events, simulating keypresses. The other is a web interface that you can access via a pda.

On the frontend:
Get the code..
Code:
$ wget http://studwww.ugent.be/~aveys/mythwifi/mythwifi.tar.bz2

and unpack it..
Code:
$ tar -xjf mythwifi.tar.bz2

Then go to the directory and compile it
Code:
$ qmake mythwifi.pro && make && make install

On the backend:
Get the code..
Code:
$ wget http://studwww.ugent.be/~aveys/mythwifi/web.tar.bz2

and unpack it
Code:
$ tar -xjf web.tar.bz2

I simply copied the web directory to my root web dir..
Code:
$ cp- r web /var/www

then chage to that directory
Code:
$ cd /var/www/web

and make a php_sessions directory there and set it writeable
Code:
$ mkdir php_sessions;chmod a+rw php_sessions

Then set up the default layout..
Code:
$ cd layout
$ sh default.sh

fill in the hostname of the frontend and hit enter for the root password (if you've left it default.)

If you can't ping the frontend from the backend via hostname, edit /etc/hosts and add an alias for the frontend.

Restart the mythfrontend process on the frontend, and you should be able to point your pda to http://mythbackend/web and then select the frontend from the drop down. (default password is blank.)

-Ashlar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:41 pm 
ok so what does this really do? sounds like you are saying it allows a pda to act as a remote or something? and if so what does that really have to do with wifi anyways? But still sounds interesting I would like to hear a more detailed description of what this does and what it gets you.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:59 am 
Quote:
ok so what does this really do? sounds like you are saying it allows a pda to act as a remote or something? and if so what does that really have to do with wifi anyways? But still sounds interesting I would like to hear a more detailed description of what this does and what it gets you.

It's like a non line-of-sight remote. Especially useful for something like mythmusic where you might not be in the same room with the frontend, but want to change the music.

-Ashlar

Post subject: broken.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:02 pm 
all i get after following your instructions is this:

Warning: fopen(cache/c0y1x0): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/web/functions.php on line 85

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /var/www/web/functions.php on line 86

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /var/www/web/functions.php on line 87

and then a bunch of broken images at the bottom of the page.

:?

Post subject: fixed
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:05 pm 
oh. you need to also do a
Code:
chmod 0777 cache

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:11 am 
excelent write up thank you very much =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:49 am 
I hope someone is still watching this thread.

I'm working on an installation of a backend server and many frontend machines. I'm curious of using a PDA type unit for a frontend for MythMusic. I have audio prewired in our home for a few rooms. Each room with the prewired audio has a wall plate that has speaker wires and a network cable. I'd like to build something into the wall that would be a myth frontend for controlling music in that room.

This write up sounds like it's sort of along those lines, although the PDA is not an actual front end.

If I'm off base on this thread, let me know.

Thanks for any reply

Post subject: Excellent idea
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:28 am 
tao wrote:
I hope someone is still watching this thread.

I'm working on an installation of a backend server and many frontend machines. I'm curious of using a PDA type unit for a frontend for MythMusic. I have audio prewired in our home for a few rooms. Each room with the prewired audio has a wall plate that has speaker wires and a network cable. I'd like to build something into the wall that would be a myth frontend for controlling music in that room.

This write up sounds like it's sort of along those lines, although the PDA is not an actual front end.

If I'm off base on this thread, let me know.

Thanks for any reply

Does anyone have this working with R5F27? I am interested in doing this. I have 2 Treo 650s and am trying to figure out how to connect them by bluetooth to my knoppmyth box to function as remote controls, access the net and browse mythweb.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:22 pm 
This thread started in 2005. Since then; now there is a WEB interface that you can get to thru your cell phone. There is one thing in setup to allow web interface.

I buy web access for a day for $1 thur verizon when I want to show this feature to friends. It is neat, but cost cell minutes and web minutes.