View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:47 am 
After over 14 years of using various versions of knoppmyth/linhes/mythbuntu, I have permanently shutdown my mythbox. With our latest move, satellite is no longer an option and I am not prepared to try and get things working on encrypted DVB-C (not to mention the excessive costs of cable). Unencrypted DVB-S was adventure enough.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help and support. Even when I wasn't using a linhes distribution, this forum still proved immensely useful.

I'll probably still lurk here.... At least until I find a new hobby :D

For those interested, I've replaced by mythbox with a raspberrypi/Kodi for music and ABOX24 M30 for television.

Cheers,

Allen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:33 pm 
I ran Kodi on Raspberry Pi 2 and It was less than stellar. Is is running better for you than Kodi on the computer you used to have MythTV on?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:35 am 
I have a RP1 and am only using it for music. Seems to work fine (flac recordings to passthru HDMI). I use kodi remote to control the playlists and queues from my phone, so I generally don't use the GUI (which is admittedly a bit slow).

That said, I just ordered an RP3 as I use it for a few other things (syncthing, borg backups, etc.). I expect a bit of improvement, but I think the limiting factor is USB2 for disk access.

To answer your question: Kodi is slightly slower on the RP1 than the Atom330 that I shut down, but since I control it from a phone, the difference doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:02 pm 
All the best, Alien. I have a raspberry pi 3 running raspbian. There is a version of mythtv for it, but I found that kodi worked better for me. It is not as snappy as a desktop machine with a dedicated video card, but I have to say that performance is better than I expected. I think that Kodi has a lot of interest right now due to all of the streaming content. I hope that mythtv does not go by the wayside, though, because it is a fantastic product. It will be interesting to see how both handle support for nvidia products moving forward, since it seems vdpau is nearing its end of life.