View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:34 pm 
Many of the newer video hardwares have removed the S video jacks. Has anyone tried on of these.
Image[/img]

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

Cut from advertising

(*)It will work with VGA cards that have TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector.
Check your Video Card manual or manufacturer to make sure that your VGA card has TV-Out function capability.

Dos the card automatically recognize the adapter due to a pin configuration?
TVBox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:47 am 
Your video card would have to have built in support for s-video out. There are some unused pins on a 15 pin VGA connector and a card manufacturer could use these pins for s-video out if they wanted to. If they did, then the adapter that you picture would work for you.

If all the above is true, then such a card can usually tell whether an s-video connection is connected or a VGA connection is connected by sensing voltage levels on the connected pins. Just like an FX5200 can tell if a tv is connected, or a VGA monitor is connected. Or the software can force it to a specific output through commands in the xorg.conf file.

The card info should definitely state that it has s-video out capabilities on the vga connector otherwise this adapter won't do any good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:21 am 
Thanks for the reply. I was guessing that they might use unused pins on the connector to. I looked at some of my old video card manuals for the statement " TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector " but then they all already have a S-video output jack so that would be redundant. I have been looking at the new mother boards that use the Nvidia 8000 on board video so I could use VDPAU in the next R6 release. None of these boards have the S-video jack anymore so this would be the ideal solution if they worked. I did download a manual for the ASUS M3N78 PRO that use the 8000 chip but none of the correct wording was mentioned. It looks like I will have to buy one to find out.

TVBox