View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:13 pm 
so yeah, like the title says- I'm sick of QA. BURNT OUT on it. It's black box testing for the most part, I get to use soapscope to test backend authentication occasionally.

I've got no coding experience to speak of- and to be honest coding doesn't interest me. I like using linux, I like configuring machines to run 'stuff' (email, web, LAMP stuff) I like troubleshooting boxen and installing/tweaking software.

So where does that put me? I think configuration management sounds kind of close but I don't know that much about it or where I would start to get into it. anyone have any ideas? Would CM absolutely necessitate my learning java or some other coding language?
TIA

Last edited by finger51 on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:28 pm 
In no particular order you can look at:

Systems administration/operations - Getting a 1-2 week class and maybe certification would be helpful. Good/sharp ones are always in demand. If you like laying hands on the hardware this could be for you.

Help Desk/User Support - Pretty painful business, it might even be worse than QA. On the other hand it might be just the ticket for someone really sociable who enjoys helping people fix problems. You definitely spend a huge amount of time with people all across the organization this way.

Applications configuration/administration - SQL, XML, ... who knows what all else but Java may be optional. Not a bad gig if you like setting things up but don't want to be a hardcore BOHF or a programmer. The QA experience would probably even be looked on as a plus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:41 am 
Thanks for the input TJC.
'funny you mention sysadmin, that's what I did before I got into QA. The QA jobs were offering higher pay and better hours (no pager).

someone just turned me on to cmcrossroads.com. It looks like clear case and ANT may be something to be studying up on. Maybe a little java. thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:48 am 
Yeah, I would also suggest systems administration. Also, depending on your knowledge of networking and routers, what about Network Engineer? I rarely handle the networking stuff (though a thorough knowledge is a must), but instead test and configure the servers. I work for a consulting company, so I get to do different things all the time, and lately it seems everything's been on Linux and Unix, so I couldn't be happier. I think the help desk would be much worse than QA, depending on the company and it's users.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:14 am 
finger51 wrote:
I think configuration management sounds kind of close but I don't know that much about it or where I would start to get into it. anyone have any ideas? Would CM absolutely necessitate my learning java or some other coding language?
TIA

I was a Configuration Manager for over 6 years in a Telco. Depending on how your Bank actually updates (publishes) its software or web pages, CM could be anything from being a glorified pen pusher who attends a lot of meetings and occasionally audits stuff, to a software tools engineer who develops stuff to automate the publishing/rollback/auditing/reporting functions, and is a friend to the developers or content authors.

So, coding not essential. Some CMs just use other people's software with a minimum of customization.

Feel free to ask questions, send emails/PMs/et c.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:13 pm 
nigelpearson wrote:

I was a Configuration Manager for over 6 years in a Telco. Depending on how your Bank actually updates (publishes) its software or web pages, CM could be anything from being a glorified pen pusher who attends a lot of meetings and occasionally audits stuff, to a software tools engineer who develops stuff to automate the publishing/rollback/auditing/reporting functions, and is a friend to the developers or content authors.

So, coding not essential. Some CMs just use other people's software with a minimum of customization.

Feel free to ask questions, send emails/PMs/et c.

source versioning, build management and installation of the code to the various environments (test & prod). Not too many meetings. Seems like a pretty good fit to me.

I used to do sysadmin and I didn't like it too much. I didn't really get to use/improve my linux skills. It was mostly just getting peoples outlook to work ("yeah your .pst file is 2.5gigs, do you ever delete anything?") Plus they have to wear pagers and be on call, which when I was in my 20's was ok. But I've got a life now and wouldn't like being tied to the pager/cell.