View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: bladder problem
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:57 am 
but the personal food choices you make and exercise habits you practice on  Beware of cocktails and premixed they are psychologically unhealthy. Because this unique group of
to the existence of multiple diffusional and thus must be in accordance with lipid as possible. Eventually, certain human
This is the proverbial rock and hard place situation If we have articles that talk about higher salaries, everybody shrieks, OOOOOOOHHHH, NOOOOO!!! Now people will gun for us and our jobs and
You make a good point about the target audience Henry Still, wouldn't it make sense if there was just one copy of these videos being produced centrally - rather than work being duplicated at County l
________
Buy No2 Vaporizer

Last edited by miker on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:08 am 
I run FreeNAS on two different machines. One is on my local network and the other is on my brother's network and it's all linked through a VPN. The FreeNAS machines work real well and there's even a new version out (which I haven't upgraded to yet). The local machine is a Celeron 600 with 256mb of ram. It's got 2 80gb internal drives and 2 external 250gb usb drives. The other box is a Celeron 800 with 384mb ram and an internal 300gb drive.

I particularly like the web interface and it's easy to setup. Both boxes have been up and running for about a year now.

Another good option is an NSLU2 (made by Linksys). I have one of these on the network as well (for basic backup) which my wife uses from her windows laptop (I also have a folder or two mounted through cifs to my openSuse 10.2 box).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:35 am 
My old junker is an 800Mhz so I might give freeNAS a try over the weekend.
What do you mean by all link by VPN?
For your setup, where is the freeNAS os installed? Some use a compact flash to IDE adapter so the hard drive contains only data. I might go simple and install the OS onto the data drive (all on one). Can you offer any other suggestions before I give it a try?

miker
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA DOCTOR

Last edited by miker on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:50 am 
The VPN is a virtual private network. I have a router/firewall attached to my cable modem which creates a secure link to my brother's router/firewall (devices are sold just for this). Then when I look at my network places his computers show up as well as mine. Basically I use it for secure connections between our networks.

As far as the FreeNAS box itself goes, my box was booting from a USB flash drive but I have the os installed on an old 3gb ide drive. If you have one lying around that's 32-128mb then you will be fine. I've tried the install on one drive thing and I had a hard time getting it just the way I wanted. My brother's box is installed on an old zip disk and then the hard drives are just for data. The recommended setup is to install the os on a different drive than the data.

The issue I ran into was that once installed you connect to the box using a web browser (default password: freenas) and then setup your shares. I partially didn't understand the way hardware was named (which is probably part of it) but you create partitions using their tools, which is easy. Then create shares out of them. There were some caveats in earlier versions of FreeNAS which wouldn't let you create the extra partition on the drive where the os is installed (they did this for security reasons) but I think the automatic installer fixes all of this now.

All in all, I would plan on installing once just to see how it goes (install takes less than 5 minutes once the cd is burnt). Then mess everything up and reinstall. Then do your final install where you start copying stuff over to it and have it configured the way you like.

Post subject: Re: Plug and Play NAS
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:50 pm 
miker wrote:
My mythbox is getting full and I would like to back up some of the important files. I did some searching for a plug and play NAS but many of them require drivers that first need to be installed. I have an old junker pc that I could install FreeNAS onto. Has anyone here tried out freeNAS yet? I hope to either buy one or make one that will connect to my router and have me view data on my windows machine, PDA and mythbox.

Yes, I just put together a FreeNAS box about 3 weeks ago. It's filling up with HDTV shows I've recorded with KnoppMyth. I first tried the 0.684b version and couldn't get it to format a drive properly. A friend of mine also tried that version and it kept crashing on him. So, I dropped back to 0.68 and it worked right off the bat - using the exact setup steps that failed in 0.684b! (conclusion: 0.684b is BUGGY).

My system is a 700MHz Celeron with 512MB of SDRAM, and a GigE card for communication. It works well. I got a compact flash to IDE adapter and am using a 256Meg Compact Flash card as the boot drive. FreeNAS shares it's data easily over SAMBA (Windows Networking). I can log onto it from any Windows pc in my home and drop files into it. It is a pretty nice use of an older pc!

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:19 pm 
I've been exerimenting with freeNas, although I am not using it in production yet. The web interface for adminstering it is great and it has support for soft-raid. My box is an old dell XPS T500, P3-500mhz, 386MB RAM. I ran some experiments, and here is where it get's interesting:

1. Tranfsering a ~1GByte file via CIFS/Samba on freeNas, the sustained transfer rate was ~45mbits/second.

2. I then did a clean install of knoppmyth (R5D1), on the same machine, disabled the backend / frontend processes and tried to transfer the same file. The sustained transfer rate was closer to ~60mbits/second.

So my experinece is that the Knoppmyth install can be used to provide a higher-performing NAS server than FreeNAS. On the other hand:

1. freeNas defintely provides a very nice web-based admin tool, and i haven't found any webmin tools that could be used with a knoppmyth install that come close. (This is not a complaint -- Knoppmyth was not designed for this purpose.)

2. freeNas's "soft raid" capability will work with USB as well as fixed drives. The last time I tried, LVM would not work with USB drives.

Choices, choices, choices...

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:28 pm 
There were a few posts on the FreeNAS forum about speeding up the performance. Apparently, out of the box, the networking settings are not optimized for TCP/IP networking with CIFS/Samba. I can't remember the settings right now, but one user made some updates and managed to regain some of the speed loss that you are talking about. They also mentioned that the use of a swap partition also dramatically improved performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:00 pm 
I have a problem when I try to use their forums. When I do a search various ads show for job searchs show up and obscure part of the result. Are you seeing this, and if so, is there a way to get that stuff to go away?

Post subject: any spcifics?
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:15 am 
ik632 wrote:
There were a few posts on the FreeNAS forum about speeding up the performance. Apparently, out of the box, the networking settings are not optimized for TCP/IP networking with CIFS/Samba. I can't remember the settings right now, but one user made some updates and managed to regain some of the speed loss that you are talking about. They also mentioned that the use of a swap partition also dramatically improved performance.

Can you quote any specifics? I tried searching and didn't come up with any FreeNAS forum posts with speedup information.

Thanks!
Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:29 pm 
If you like the UI of FreeNAS you might take a gander at m0n0wall as your firewall/router. It's the source of the PHP web I/F used by FreeNAS and pfSense (another fork of m0n0wall). I've been using m0n0wall and pfSense for a couple of years now and they are absolutely rock-solid. I can push 100M bits/sec through the router in both directions without it even breaking a sweat.

http://m0n0.ch/wall

http://www.pfsense.org

Post subject: Re: any spcifics?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:09 am 
neutron68 wrote:
Can you quote any specifics? I tried searching and didn't come up with any FreeNAS forum posts with speedup information.

Thanks!
Eric

I have it bookmarked at home so I'll post the link when I get home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:05 pm 
Anyone try Openfiler?

http://www.openfiler.com/

It is based on rPath (CentOS / RHEL). I am probably gonna try out both OpenNas and Openfiler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:59 pm 
I've tried both and I like the interface of FreenNAS a lot better then Openfiler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:12 pm 
If anyone is interested, here is a how to on setting up Freenas:

Linkage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:51 am 
With the help of the step by step tutorial at: h??p://www.howtoforge.com/network_attached_storage_with_freenas
I managed to get it up and running on no time at all. No problems mapping the drive in XP to drag and drop files onto.

One question:
Lets say I have all my avi files stored on the freenas box. How do I get Knoppmyth to see them in the other box across the network?

miker
________
Mary jane

Last edited by miker on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go to page 1, 2  Next