View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Got scammed...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:13 pm 
Recently, I traded some computer equipment for stuff to build my MythTV setup. Traded an old Celeron 2.6 system for a 3.0P4 Processor, asus mobo, tv tuner card, and geforce video card. When I received the hardware, I found it to be wrapped in bubble wrap and nothing else (not good). I take the mobo, cpu, some ram, and a PSU, and hook up to a monitor and keyboard. Before it can even POST, goes directly to BIOS telling me the CPU is in "safe mode". Out of cusiousity, I check the CPU temperature in BIOS. 180 degrees fahrenheit! Thats with the stock intel cooler, running at off the shelf speed. The seller guaranteed it would work, but now refuses to make a trade back, as he already sold my old computer. Lousy Bastard... Sorry, just needed to vent.

Post subject: Re: Got scammed...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:49 pm 
USSEnterprise wrote:
Recently, I traded some computer equipment for stuff to build my MythTV setup. Traded an old Celeron 2.6 system for a 3.0P4 Processor, asus mobo, tv tuner card, and geforce video card. When I received the hardware, I found it to be wrapped in bubble wrap and nothing else (not good). I take the mobo, cpu, some ram, and a PSU, and hook up to a monitor and keyboard. Before it can even POST, goes directly to BIOS telling me the CPU is in "safe mode". Out of cusiousity, I check the CPU temperature in BIOS. 180 degrees fahrenheit! Thats with the stock intel cooler, running at off the shelf speed. The seller guaranteed it would work, but now refuses to make a trade back, as he already sold my old computer. Lousy Bastard... Sorry, just needed to vent.

Get the CPU temperature down and maybe it will all work. In my experience, Intel CPUs are very resilient.
Separate the fan and CPU and put some good thermal paste on it. Alternatively, buy a Zalman cooler with speed controller - much better solution for a myth box.

Good luck

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:12 pm 
But the CPU shouldn't be running that hot, even with the stock cooler. Buying a new cooler may help, but in reality, I need either a new processor or new motherboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:04 pm 
Is it in fact running that hot? It could be a dodgy BIOS, you could try and update it and see if that helps, although I can appreciate that this may be frightening with a suspected dodgy CPU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:42 am 
Don't give up hope yet :) although it is a bad sign that the chap isn't prepared to trade back...

Does the cooler actually get too hot to touch? If not then either the temperature sensor is faulty or the thermal paste between the cooler and cpu isn't applied properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:25 am 
USSEnterprise wrote:
But the CPU shouldn't be running that hot, even with the stock cooler. Buying a new cooler may help, but in reality, I need either a new processor or new motherboard.

As someone else just said, the thermal paste makes a huge difference. Apply some good paste and re-join the CPU and fan, and the temperature may well come down. While you have them separated, pull the CPU out and check the pins (if it has them).

I've also seen the CPU fan offset very slightly (almost imperceptible) and this was enough to cause major overheating, and that was also with the stock fan.

That CPU runs hot anyway. If you do need to replace it, is an E6320 supported on the m/b? It doesn't get hot at all.

Cheers

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:13 pm 
Nah, the motherboard is socket 478. I'll get some new thermal grease today and give it a go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:13 pm 
Thermal grease fixed it. Found an old tube of Archer Thermal Paste from about 20 years ago, and applied some to the processor. The temperature leveled off about 130 degrees F in about 5 minutes. Thanks for the suggestion.