View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:43 pm 
Site Admin
For those that think $5 is too much for Schedules Direct.

1) If you are a coffee drinker, can you skip a cup at *$s?
2) Do you have a home phone plan? If not (or even if you do...), contact your phone company. They can go over your usage and see if they have a plan to save you money.
3) Are you running your backend 24/7? Why not setup nvram-wakeup? You system can shutdown when idle and automatically wakeup before a recording.
4) Take your lunch to work instead of dishing $$ for cold fries and a warm soda.
5) Carpool.
6) Don't go grocery shopping when you are hungry.
7) Save electricity.

Please add your own ideas to the list...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:55 pm 
8.) Clean the change from your couch and/or car.

KM: R5.5
CPU: Athlon 3800+
Vid: nvidia 7300GT
Snd: Chaintech av-710
Tuner: PVR150
HD: 1000gb sata + 750gb sata + 500gb usb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:09 pm 
it's not he money that makes me sour...its not much and I'm sure I'll pay. Its just the fact that IMO this data should be free.

I just don't see the networks benefit in making the collection of data difficult. They WANT you to tune in to their programming, they should want you to have the data that will pull you in.

Can't imagine a running a store and making it difficult or costly for potential customers to even know what is for sale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:59 pm 
Site Admin
Let's not turn this into 'the data should be free' thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:01 pm 
We all wish this data were free. Probably the majority of us here believe it should be free. I'm not in that majority. The data provider can charge for it, therefore, they will. If you think you can provide it for free, go ahead.

All of this is moot.

We, the users, need this data. There are no reliable free sources. A small group of intrepid developers negotiated a sweet deal on our behalf. Be grateful.

And if you're feeling sour, then take your frustrations out on NBC, CBS, HBO, etc -- not on the dev team.

(back to the thread topic)

Save $5 by finding a way to take the bus to work two or three times per month. If you've never taken the bus in to work, try it - you may be surprised at how liberating it is, every now and again, to let someone else do the driving.

Home-Brewed Mythic Dragon Clone
200GB WD IDE /myth
2x250GB WD IDE (lvm) /myth/tv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:05 pm 
bshroyer wrote:
Save $5 by finding a way to take the bus to work two or three times per month. If you've never taken the bus in to work, try it - you may be surprised at how liberating it is, every now and again, to let someone else do the driving.
Or better yet, call in sick, save the money on gas, AND get a full day to tweak your myth box and catch up on all those recordings you don't have time to watch :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:26 am 
Gibble wrote:
Or better yet, call in sick, save the money on gas, AND get a full day to tweak your myth box and catch up on all those recordings you don't have time to watch :lol:

Now this is the kind of practical idea that people here need, not some whiny sooking that it should be free. :lol: :lol:

Last edited by turpie on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:08 am 
I said I was gonna pay. thats not whining. just adding an opinion to an Off-Topic thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:36 am 
Quote:
Please add your own ideas to the list...

Option 1 -
Compare your cable bill and your stats in MythWeb http://<your-KM-ip>/mythweb/stats.

If you are not fully utilizing a higher tier cable package consider downgrading to a lower package. Many CableCos offer a very basic package which includes local networks and a few core cable networks. Even in the basic package plans the CableCos are still legally required by the FCC to provide unencrypted QAM of local stations often in HD too. I could alone cut $27/month off my cable package with this option.

Option 2 -
If you subscribe to cable research other TV options in your area, many telcos like Verizon and AT&T are rolling out IPTV services. If competition is available call your Cable company and threaten to switch to Telco's IPTV if they do not offer competitive prices. CableCos will often offer a reduced rate for 6 months when customers threaten to leave. A 5 minutes call can often save $60 over 6 months. Same process can be done for internet access.

Option 3 -
Downgrade your cable plan, and research if are any Podcasts/Videocasts more appropriate to your entertainment tastes. Internet delivered video is on the rise, shows like "Ask a Ninja", "Diggnation", and a multitude of shows available from Revision3 offer great regular entertainment in standard RSS feeds and in formats such as XviD KM can play out of the box. (self promote) see this howto on making KM do the leg work on downloading videocasts. http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=Podcasts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:09 am 
Call the cable company and tell them that you are looking at other options and may switch your service. They will transfer you to the customer retention department and can reduce your monthly bill if you are not happy. Typically they have 3 tiers with the first being $30/month reduction, then $20/month reduction, then finally $10/month reduction. Promotions typically last for 3-6 months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:17 pm 
Quit smoking. Not only will you find the $5/month needed, but you'll have loads of spare money on top of that as well. Not to mention the health benefits, and the fact that those around you won't have to breathe your stinky second hand smoke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm 
rando wrote:
Quit smoking. Not only will you find the $5/month needed, but you'll have loads of spare money on top of that as well. Not to mention the health benefits, and the fact that those around you won't have to breathe your stinky second hand smoke.
And you'll live longer and get to enjoy your mythTV that much more :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:48 pm 
Bike to work -- saves money on gas, car maintenance and improves your health. (And for those who are wondering, yes I do. 50 miles round-trip, 14 by bike and 36 by train...)

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:23 pm 
Site Admin
Great tips! Please keep it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:06 am 
marc.aronson wrote:
Bike to work -- saves money on gas, car maintenance and improves your health. (And for those who are wondering, yes I do. 50 miles round-trip, 14 by bike and 36 by train...)

Marc

I wish I could. Unfortunately, it's 55 miles to work one way for me.

Go to page 1, 2  Next