View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:28 pm 
Quote:
...how do you have the jukebox hooked up to your Myth box? And when you say "and I use avimanager to keep track of" does that mean you only have access to it via a web browser?

I should have been clearer. It's not hooked up to the myth box. I run avimanager on the myth box, and all movies I own are entered into avimanager, along with the DVD # slot that the disk is in on the juke box. As you have summized, my access to avimanager is via the web browser and I have to manually select the DVD # using the DVD juke boxes remote control.

I have though about setting something up that would do this automatically with an IR blaster, but I've never looked into it seriously enough to figure out how to do it...

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:22 am 
marc.aronson wrote:
Quote:
...how do you have the jukebox hooked up to your Myth box? And when you say "and I use avimanager to keep track of" does that mean you only have access to it via a web browser?

I should have been clearer. It's not hooked up to the myth box. I run avimanager on the myth box, and all movies I own are entered into avimanager, along with the DVD # slot that the disk is in on the juke box. As you have summized, my access to avimanager is via the web browser and I have to manually select the DVD # using the DVD juke boxes remote control.
Ahh, I see. Sounded like a great alternative to ripping all these DVDs, but my family would much rather access the movies directly from the Myth menus vs. getting up to place the disk in the drive :roll:

Thanks for the info Marc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:21 am 
Quote:
Ahh, I see. Sounded like a great alternative to ripping all these DVDs, but my family would much rather access the movies directly from the Myth menus vs. getting up to place the disk in the drive

I think there is a mis-understanding. The DVD player can hold up to 400 disks and no one needs to put a disk in the drive to watch a movie. When we buy a movie, I do 2 things:

1. Load it into the sony 400-disk "juke box".

2. Enter the movie into avimanager. Part of what I record in avimanager is the slot number the disk was loaded into (1->400).

When we want to watch a movie:

1. Using a web browser on a lapto, look for the movie we want to watch with avimanager.

2. Power up the DVD player, push the "folder" buttom on the remote control followed by the 3-digit DVD number, hit OK and watch the movie.

The player lists for about $400, but I picked it up on sale about 18 months ago for $185.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:15 am 
marc.aronson wrote:
Quote:
Ahh, I see. Sounded like a great alternative to ripping all these DVDs, but my family would much rather access the movies directly from the Myth menus vs. getting up to place the disk in the drive

I think there is a mis-understanding. The DVD player can hold up to 400 disks and no one needs to put a disk in the drive to watch a movie. When we buy a movie, I do 2 things:

1. Load it into the sony 400-disk "juke box".

2. Enter the movie into avimanager. Part of what I record in avimanager is the slot number the disk was loaded into (1->400).

When we want to watch a movie:

1. Using a web browser on a lapto, look for the movie we want to watch with avimanager.

2. Power up the DVD player, push the "folder" buttom on the remote control followed by the 3-digit DVD number, hit OK and watch the movie.

The player lists for about $400, but I picked it up on sale about 18 months ago for $185.

Marc
I did misunderstand, I was thinking of one of those storage carousels, not an actual player. We have a Sony 400 disk CD changer/player, I'll have a look around for the equivalent DVD player.

Thanks again for the info Marc!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:16 am 
Ironically, it was one of those Sony changers that got me into Knoppmyth!

I bought one of the beasts and brought it home. It wouldn't even fit in my entertainment center, which is huge! Too deep. I would have hacked out the back of the entertainment center for it, but I decided to try it awhile first.

I understand why you're using AVIManager -- the built in disc finding system is hopeless! You had to program the name of the disc from the front panel, there was no computer interface at all. If you lost power for awhile it would dump your entire memory. If you took out a DVD to loan to a friend, it would lose that memory slot. And with no computer interface, you could not dump and restore your movie titles easily. I was really disappointed, so I took it back to CC.

Back at home, I thought, "there's got to be a better way to make a DVD changer." Hard disks are getting really large now, why doesn't someone make a box that lets you copy your movies onto a hard disk and watch them from the disk? You could have a "changer" with no DVDs needed! What a great idea! I think I'll do a little Googling on this idea and see what comes up........... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:47 pm 
Liv2Cod, I really agree that attempting to use the "juke box's" built in system is a loosing proposition. Fortunately for me, I never dealt with the problems you described because I had read posts by other folks that had the same problems. Since I was already using avimanager to track my DVD's, it was fairly easy to simpy store the disc number in avimanager.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:54 pm 
** BUMP **

This deal is back. I've edited my original post.

Go to page Previous  1, 2