View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:01 am 
I evaluated LinuxMCE, MythDora, Ubuntu (following the guide and not using Mythbuntu) and KnoppMyth a while back.

I could not get LinuxMCE to work (hardware issues) and finally gave up. Maybe it's more mature now and worth another try.

I got MythDora working, but had lots of issues and it was hard to find help or instructions. I ran with it for a while anyway and it was pretty slow and not as feature complete (when compared to KnoppMyth). The GUI setup was pretty, but did not work nearly as well (or support as much stuff) as KnoppMyth's setup. I felt the most at home with MythDora, since my Linux experience is mostly RedHat. Maybe this latest version would be worth another try... but I don't think I'm that interested any more.

I got Ubuntu working and ran it for the longest of all except KnoppMyth. I like Ubuntu since you can apt-get everything (in a stable way) and keep upgrading without installing from CD ever again. Plus lots of extras are easily available and I learned a lot about Ubuntu following the excellent docs. However, it was slower than KnoppMyth (on my hardware) and installing all the extras that KnoppMyth had was a BIG chore. Still, I hold the most hope for Mythbuntu in the future. It has the momentum of Ubuntu behind it and they are working heavily on the "pretty install" factor with the extras.

Of course, I'm running KnoppMyth. It's the best out there right now (hands down). I know I'm preaching to the choir, so I will not go on about the whys. I just wish KnoppMyth had Ubuntu as a base... and that's all I'm going to cry about for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:16 am 
Site Admin
nharris wrote:
Still, I hold the most hope for Mythbuntu in the future. It has the momentum of Ubuntu behind it and they are working heavily on the "pretty install" factor with the extras.
R6. That is all I have to say about that.
nharris wrote:
Of course, I'm running KnoppMyth. It's the best out there right now (hands down). I know I'm preaching to the choir, so I will not go on about the whys. I just wish KnoppMyth had Ubuntu as a base... and that's all I'm going to cry about for now.
KnoppMyth will never have an Ubuntu base. Simply put, we think we can do better. By your own admission, we are already doing better. Is a "pretty install" w/ a Ubuntu backend worth it, when "Ubuntu isn't as stable as KnoppMyth"? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:46 am 
Hi,

Both KM and MythUbuntu run on a Debian base so other than the eye fluff, I see nothing to be gained by running on a Ubuntu platform. Actually, I think Cecil was very wise staying with the Knoppix / Debian as a foundation as there are all the little "updates" that come with Ubuntu of which any one could damage the balence of the KM system.

Once you have a KM machine tweaked, peaked and fine tuned it just runs. It simply does the task of being a excelent PVR / DVR.

Now if you want it to go beyond that primary service, and add web server, ftp server, print server what ever server, you can do that by carefully adding the needed tools. At that point the purity of being the best PVR available at a wonderful price has been reduced. Not necessarily causing any degragation but there may be possible side effects. ( I use mine for almost everything and never missed or glitched a show :) )

As a side note, I was not able to try any of the other Myth distros on my Dell 400 mhz machine as they are installed from dvd...

I have a friend who has been experimenting with LinuxMCE and KM together using the KM as a backend, with a lot of success. I hope to be getting more details from him soon.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:09 pm 
cecil wrote:
KnoppMyth will never have an Ubuntu base. Simply put, we think we can do better. By your own admission, we are already doing better. Is a "pretty install" w/ a Ubuntu backend worth it, when "Ubuntu isn't as stable as KnoppMyth"? :wink:

I hope you are not quoting me on the "Ubuntu isn't as stable as KnoppMyth". I don't believe I wrote that. In fact, I think that is one very nice thing about Ubuntu is stability and its large user base (lots of testing on different hardware). I know that when I apt-get install from the Debian pool with KnoppMyth it's a hit or miss affair.

I do think KnoppMyth is better right now (by a lot). The installer is also the best right now. It's not that important to me personally, but it would probably help KnoppMyth's public image to have a "pretty install".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:05 pm 
Site Admin
nharris wrote:
I got Ubuntu working and ran it for the longest of all except KnoppMyth.
To me, this states that KnoppMyth is the more stable. If that isn't what you meant, this is certainly the way I read it. If people don't want to use KnoppMyth because the install isn't "pretty"... Simply put to hell with them. I don't want those people as our users. KnoppMyth's functions is PVR (period). What more can we include with KnoppMyth that isn't to make it more of PVR?

KnoppMyth was around a full year before Ubuntu. KRP hardware was certified before MythBuntu was a gleam in someone's eyes. MythBuntu was talked about for a long time before it was available. It is just now in alpha. Every been in #mythtv-users when someone joins asking for help w/ getting MySQL/LIRC/MythTV/etc work w/ Ubuntu? Those that want to jump ship, jump.

KnoppMyth defined the "Myth distro". With R6, we plan on redefining it again. In addition, you may see a thing or two no other distro is doing.

As for LinuxMCE (to get back on topic)... The interface is nice. However, the hardware you need to accomplish all the goodness is limited. As a whole house solution, it is nice. My past experience w/ PlutoHome wasn't that great. It was difficult to install and when it did install, it wouldn't boot. From reading some of the comments about LinuxMCE, it appears to stuffer from the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:14 pm 
cecil wrote:
...KnoppMyth's functions is PVR (period). What more can we include with KnoppMyth that isn't to make it more of PVR?...

The above quote is exactly why I chose KnoppMyth in the first place. I wanted a PVR - KnoppMyth gives me exactly that. Period.

Go to page Previous  1, 2